Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Closed system water cooling units have been gaining popularity over the last two years or so and it is only natural that we have seen a gradual evolution in their designs. Corsair is now taking the next step in the evolutionary process with their release of the H70; a water cooling unit which could out pace everything that has come before it....

[ Read full article ]
Old August 15, 2010, 08:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Always informative and thorough, a very nice review.

This thing is cooling monster, especially for the price it's retailing at! However I was hoping it'd be a smooth operator too, but the noise from the fans even at low speed is a bit of a bummer as I was hoping this would be a quieter change of pace compared to my Hyper 212+. Knowing the enterprising people here though, I'm sure someone will find a nice fan combination that keeps things chilly and calm.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:02 PM
MVP

That radiator is HUGE.

Oh yeah, remember the news thread where a bunch of noobs claiming it's significantly quieter. And that's enough reason to pay 4x more over the Hyper 212?
Corsair Launches Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler | Hardware Canucks
My ass. .2 and .4 DBA is NOT worth that much of a price increase.
+ you have to run the fan at the lowest speed, which decreases its performance.

Last edited by YoungMan; August 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

One thing that is wrong in the review is the H50 now comes with AMD hardware and the mounting hardware is 100% the same as the H70.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Out of curiosity why was the H70 not tested with 2 scythe s-flex fans?

definitely an interesting cooler and has got me thinking maybe going this way for my next rig as this looks to be a relatively painless way to get into water cooling.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. price/performance im not too convinced though :)
Old August 16, 2010, 12:00 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
definitely an interesting cooler and has got me thinking maybe going this way for my next rig as this looks to be a relatively painless way to get into water cooling.
This is not "getting into water cooling". Using a self-contained system like this is no more involved than using a standard heatsink and fan setup. If you really want to get into water cooling, then you need to build your own loop.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:21 AM
Rookie

2 degrees worse than a Venomous X when equipped with the same fans. That says it all and should dampen the marketing hype. Its funny cause in equal testing circumstances it doesn't even come close to the H50. So much for improvement.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"Numbers like this are simply WHY people take the plunge and go water." Great pun

I'm glad that you included the exhaust portion so that apples can be compared to apples. I have a Domino ALC, for my first ever build last year and I really like it, the only problem is that it's the loudest thing in my computer. I see that the H70 is quite, when compared to the ALC.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
This is not "getting into water cooling". Using a self-contained system like this is no more involved than using a standard heatsink and fan setup. If you really want to get into water cooling, then you need to build your own loop.
IMO, the reason it is a first step is BECAUSE it isn't installation any more involved than some of the better heatsinks on the market.

In addition, many people are simply afraid of having water or coolant flowing through their cases. Having something like the H70, ECO, etc shows them that water cooling can bring higher performance without the worry of leakage.

Last I checked though, there was fluid passing through this unit so it IS water cooling...