Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I skimmed over the testing results last night before bed, and today I'm trying to look at the review but it seems I can only get the first page of the reivew. I try to hit the link to the next page and it just redirects me to the first page again. Same if I choose a sections from the dropdown menu. Tried with both FF and Chrome. Anybody else having the issue?

Anyways, IIRC it looked like the H70 was definately pulling some higher numbers, but in some cases it wasn't all that much of a difference from the H50, maybe a couple of degrees and that's with 2 fans and a double thick rad. Although a couple of degrees on a max OC is quite a bit of difference. Wish I could check the results again, and see what I think I'm remembering...
Old August 16, 2010, 12:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We're working on the issue.
Old August 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Yeah, it technically uses water as a coolant, but it isn't significantly better than a good heatsink, and it's a lot more expensive. It is also not a real introduction into water cooling, because setting up an actual loop yourself is a completely different experience. It doesn't give you a taste of what water cooling is really like other than slightly better performance than air.

Well, if you look around for used components then you could probably put together a CPU-only loop for a similar price, but a full loop would indeed be better than this. However, on the flip side, a good heatsink is also much less expensive and doesn't perform that much worse. The practical benefits of a system like this are dubious since you generally won't see any improvement in overclocking potential because the temperature difference compared to high-end air just isn't that big.

I'm not saying it's a bad cooler, but I definitely don't think it's worth the price compared to air cooling.
Regardless of whether or not it is better than high end air makes no difference. There is water flowing through the CPU block, rad, pump, etc. making it a watercooling product.

Also, just because you aren't setting up your own loop doesn't mean that you aren't getting your feet wet. Most peoples problem (and was mine until I did build my own loop) with watercooling is they are scared to put water in their rig. Once they buy this and see that it isn't as scary as they though, on their next build they might step it up to a home built loop.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

as for the off topic conversation, I don't consider this water cooling - I guess you could call it a 'step'. The setup for a full watercooling loop is far more involved with tube routing and fittings.. add in the maintenance needed every 6+ months and it's night and day compared to this small, self-contained unit.

I'm glad to see the 'apples to apples' approach - and verifys what most people do with the exaust, having a small effect on the overall performance. One thing I do with my H50s is have the top two fans intake instead of exaust - blowing outside air directly in front of the H50 fans + cools the ram slots.
It's also interesting to note what happens to the chipset when you intake the air from the H70 - why corsair recommends this for a few degrees in CPU performance is beyond me.

The main reason I purchased H50s over regular CPU coolers is that it directly exausts (when setup this way) the CPU heat out of the computer case. System temps get lower, as well as hard drive and GPU temps. For long, extended folding@home runs, this keeps components within the temperatures i'm comfortable running the equipment at.
If I didn't already have H50s on my folding rigs, i'd probably be looking at the H70s as a cooling solution.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musabi View Post
Also, just because you aren't setting up your own loop doesn't mean that you aren't getting your feet wet. Most peoples problem (and was mine until I did build my own loop) with watercooling is they are scared to put water in their rig. Once they buy this and see that it isn't as scary as they though, on their next build they might step it up to a home built loop.
The difference is that because this is a self-contained system, there is no risk. With an actual custom-built loop, there is still a risk of spillage if you don't do it right. Getting a system like this doesn't make you any less likely to screw up while building a real loop. There may be a psychological difference compared to air cooling, but there is no practical difference.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The difference is that because this is a self-contained system, there is no risk. With an actual custom-built loop, there is still a risk of spillage if you don't do it right.
Do you really believe that if system is made by somebody else it can't leak on you?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Do you really believe that if system is made by somebody else it can't leak on you?
No, but it's unlikely that it will happen, and it's also more unlikely for user error to cause a leak.
Old August 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
MVP

How much better would a custom CPU only loop do with a 120mm radiator?
Old August 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
How much better would a custom CPU only loop do with a 120mm radiator?
I have some data for dual rad only:

HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 18, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

This isn't watercooling. It is more like advanced air-cooling. Well, technically, it is water cooling. I think it is a good way to get started :) Corsair should sell the H70 and H50 as a kit that you need to put together.