Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 05:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Out of curiosity why was the H70 not tested with 2 scythe s-flex fans?

definitely an interesting cooler and has got me thinking maybe going this way for my next rig as this looks to be a relatively painless way to get into water cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
This is not "getting into water cooling". Using a self-contained system like this is no more involved than using a standard heatsink and fan setup. If you really want to get into water cooling, then you need to build your own loop.

That is exactly the point. It is supposed to be for people who don't have a clue about setting up a watercooling rig (such as myself right now) but still want the potential benefits of running your system on water and supposedly quieter and cooler.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Out of curiosity why was the H70 not tested with 2 scythe s-flex fans?
LOL. I was thinking along these lines also. Would it work fine with 2 X 120MM Noctuas?
I know HWC reviewers are often swapping fans on HSF, for some custom testing with alternate fan solutions...

would be really nice to know how this H70 functions with "P" rated Noctuas.
If it's decent, I'm IN on my next built!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old August 16, 2010, 05:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
would be really nice to know how this H70 functions with "P" rated Noctuas.
If it's decent, I'm IN on my next built!
The dual fan results are always run with NF-P12 fans. We cannot account for every eventuality in the reviews unfortunately.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is a typo on the graphics, says "Inisde Case"
Old August 16, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
This is not "getting into water cooling". Using a self-contained system like this is no more involved than using a standard heatsink and fan setup. If you really want to get into water cooling, then you need to build your own loop.
Well I was going to point out the whole water thing but others have beat me to it.

Also I would imagine a custom water cooling loop would be more expensive than this.
Old August 16, 2010, 08:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would love to see a comparison between the H70 with the Megahalems and other high end Air coolers using 3000 RPM fans.
Old August 16, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
The dual fan results are always run with NF-P12 fans. We cannot account for every eventuality in the reviews unfortunately.
OUCH!
Sry Sky, it's what I got for jumping to conclusions too quick. You folks indeed tested with NF-P12!
Good job as always!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old August 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Water Cooling

Great review as always SKY! Ok, if you want to say you have some water cooling then technically this is such. However, the real WC pros know this is nothing more than a sales gimmick. It seems the results work quite well with the fans maxed out. As pointed out by another member, too loud imho. If you swap fans, it brings the cost up, unless like me you already have a few kicking around.
Bottom line I think I'll stick to air cooling for now. Being a tradesman, I would consider installing a good centrifugal pump setup if going that route with braided lines and compression fittings to minimize leakage. Might look good too!
Old August 16, 2010, 10:19 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, the reason it is a first step is BECAUSE it isn't installation any more involved than some of the better heatsinks on the market.

In addition, many people are simply afraid of having water or coolant flowing through their cases. Having something like the H70, ECO, etc shows them that water cooling can bring higher performance without the worry of leakage.

Last I checked though, there was fluid passing through this unit so it IS water cooling...
Yeah, it technically uses water as a coolant, but it isn't significantly better than a good heatsink, and it's a lot more expensive. It is also not a real introduction into water cooling, because setting up an actual loop yourself is a completely different experience. It doesn't give you a taste of what water cooling is really like other than slightly better performance than air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Well I was going to point out the whole water thing but others have beat me to it.

Also I would imagine a custom water cooling loop would be more expensive than this.
Well, if you look around for used components then you could probably put together a CPU-only loop for a similar price, but a full loop would indeed be better than this. However, on the flip side, a good heatsink is also much less expensive and doesn't perform that much worse. The practical benefits of a system like this are dubious since you generally won't see any improvement in overclocking potential because the temperature difference compared to high-end air just isn't that big.

I'm not saying it's a bad cooler, but I definitely don't think it's worth the price compared to air cooling.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yea, not liking the noise levels.. guess i'll wait for the HR02 to show up in stores.