Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Sufficient or insufficient? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/35159-sufficient-insufficient.html)

JMCD August 12, 2010 10:16 PM

Sufficient or insufficient?

I'm planning on WC'ing my i7 920 and my Sapphire 5870. I want this build to be fairly quiet, so no loud fans. My question is, is a MCR320 sufficient cooling for these 2? The cpu is overclocked to 4.0ghz and I'd probably push it a bit further. I have an opportunity to pick up a MCR320 for $30 with some fans and fan covers from a buddy, so it's a hell of a deal. I'm going to go with an EK gpu block as well.

If it isn't enough, I'll probably go with an XSPC 360 or 480.

_dangtx_ August 12, 2010 10:30 PM

well, i see people with dual rads pushing the lieks of those, albeit a bit on the warm side. pump,tubing? :)

enaberif August 12, 2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 415052)
well, i see people with dual rads pushing the lieks of those, albeit a bit on the warm side. pump,tubing? :)

Keep your nose out of threads you have no knowledge of PLEASE its getting extremely tiring.

The MCR320 is a good rad but its not a rad I'd use on a i7 cpu. The mcr320 is a rather thin radiator that would require good fans to be efficient and even then I'd still want a single rad for the cpu.

I'd look at getting a good "thick" dual or triple rad and use that instead.

JMCD August 12, 2010 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info.

Pump - MCP 350
Tubing 1/2" ID feser

Enaberif - Thanks for the info. If the mcr is insufficient, I'm looking at this because it's optimized for low speed fans.

XSPC RX480 Extreme Performance Radiator - Thermochill Killer Part II Products Model: RX480 [RX480] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Either that, or the 360 version.

enaberif August 12, 2010 10:41 PM

Tubing look at 3/8" ID and 1/2" barbs if you haven't purchased that yet.

I'd definitely look at the 360 rad over the mcr320 just so you know that way you have the security and headroom for later as well.

350 is a good pump and if the inner part is blue you can mod it to a 355 for extra oomph if you wanted.

Sushi Warrior August 12, 2010 10:41 PM

An MCR is pretty much as good as any other rad as long as you're using fans under 1800RPM. IMO it is rad size, not bran/model, I would worry about. A 360 rad generally can handle ~250-300w I believe with a 1300-1500rpm fan on it, so that would be pushing it. I would suggest a second 240mm rad (easy to find an MCR220 for $20-30).

lowfat August 12, 2010 10:44 PM

MCR320 is perfectly capable of handing an moderately clocked i7 and a HD5870. I had no problems holding my i7 @ 4.2GHz and an HD5970 w/ one. They are very capable under rated radiators. The only issue w/ them is the very poor paint job. Otherwise they hang easily enough w/ other brands.
Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

JMCD August 12, 2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 415058)
Tubing look at 3/8" ID and 1/2" barbs if you haven't purchased that yet.

I'd definitely look at the 360 rad over the mcr320 just so you know that way you have the security and headroom for later as well.

350 is a good pump and if the inner part is blue you can mod it to a 355 for extra oomph if you wanted.

I just like the bigger tubing and plan on making some tight bends. I've already invested in some 1/2" ID 3/4" OD compressions. I'm happy about the pump as well, I'll see how it performs first and then consider the mod. I saw that when I googled the difference between the 350 and 355 :)

@Sushi - I am kind of limited with my choices, I can only have one rad. I have a silverstone Raven RV01 and I have to mount the rad on the back, which is fine by me, but it means I can only mount one rad...any size fits.

@lowfat - How were the cpu temps? Really I don't do any folding or run furmark, bc2 is about as demanding as anything will get for me. I had a problem with paint on one I had, no real issue for me.

_dangtx_ August 12, 2010 11:01 PM

youll be allright then :)

bottle August 13, 2010 01:51 AM

IMO the MCR320 will be good enough, but you're going to get some high temps in you want a really quiet build (depends on your ear).

However, that being said, even an XSPC or Thermochill would have perhaps just a few degrees better performance with lower fan speeds, but I highly doubt it'd be worth almost double the price.

I'd second getting a second rad somewhere if possible. If not, use the WC set up on the 5870 and use an H50 or something similar for the CPU.

On a side note, I'm personally using an MCR320 with an E8400 @ 4.2GHz, and 4870 lightly OC'ed and my NB. My temps aren't the best, but it manages (under 70 load for CPU).

Should note that I'm using the MCP655 pump on speed 4 as well as 1000~RPM Gelid Wings.