Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Lowfat, I love you, and you are practically a mod here in my eyes, but Skinny is a liar and a cheater. His reviews are B.S.ed so he gets more free stuff.

You are going to want a higher RPM fan for the MCR series by swiftech. They have a denser FPI than the most common radiators, so the extra CFM would be helpful - this in turn makes more noise though.
Old August 15, 2010, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Lowfat, I love you, and you are practically a mod here in my eyes, but Skinny is a liar and a cheater. His reviews are B.S.ed so he gets more free stuff.

You are going to want a higher RPM fan for the MCR series by swiftech. They have a denser FPI than the most common radiators, so the extra CFM would be helpful - this in turn makes more noise though.
If you're referring to the OC competition, that's one thing. But if Skinnie was fudging watercooling results, he did a horrible job at it - very little distinction between the various radiator brands for the most part, and the brand with probably the highest marketing budget (Feser) actually does a little worse for a lot of the scale. And the GTX480 blocks he reviewed - I'd venture that took way too long for an undertable sponsor to accept.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm currently cooling an i7 920 @ 4.0GHz and a GTX280 on just a dual MCR radiator, with Push-pull Scythe fans at about 800rpm, and no troubles at all - the MCR rads are just as capable as their competitors. They have a slightly higher fin density, but they offset it with a thinner core. The one area that you do give up something is fluid restriction - while still much less restrictive than any water block, they're quite a bit more restrictive than many other radiators.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lowfat said what needed to be said and i will leave it at that. swiftech rads are just fine
Old August 15, 2010, 10:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well just for reference, I have the HWLabs SR-1 360 w/ 1450RPM Gentle Typhoons. Block wise, I have a Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel Plated (from Daz) on my i7 920 @ 4.2GHz, ~1.3V along with the HD5870 with EK fullcover acetal/nickel. My CPU under Prime95 gets up around 65C (75C if I push 1.4V) and the GPU stays rather chilly, typically under 40C at stock clocks/voltage.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

folks ambient really matters when telling someone about your cooling setup. water even more so.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
folks ambient really matters when telling someone about your cooling setup. water even more so.
I personally don't find my ambient changes things much. My room is anywhere from 20C to 24C though.
Old August 15, 2010, 03:41 PM
Top Prospect

just gonna throw this out there , u could always do a switech rad sandwich and buy another swiftech 360 rad to hang off the back as well if you are concernd about temps. that way u could buy your buddys rad/ fan setup for cheap test it out and if its alittle to toasty for your likings u can sandwich it pretty easily for better temps and overall cheapness. just a thought
Old August 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I personally don't find my ambient changes things much. My room is anywhere from 20C to 24C though.
key point your ambient temp range does not change enough and if your pressure stay the same it won't that much. where i am pressure can change fast and a lot and so can temps.

like today it went from 24 to 33 in just over an hour+ so ya when it comes down to it ambient matters when telling someone about your cooling loop. i am running at stock speeds for the summer and my temps never go over 55c. but in winter i can run at 4.0ghz at almost the same temps. ambient always matters.
like i get worse temps on my venomous why .. because it's almost 40+c in my living room.
Old August 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@jdrom - Good to hear, and those Scythe's are dead quiet aren't they?

@gomer - I read that the QP (pass through rads) didn't really help much unless you had high CFM fans (2000rpm+) I have considered it and I still am, but I think what others have said about surface area matters the most. If I do have to get a different rad, it'll be a quad one likely. My ambient temps are pretty good, probably 22-23C in the summer and 15-20C in the winter. My basement is cold if there's no PC on in the room :P

Yeah ambient will play a factor, especially since my rad will be always getting fresh air. It'll be interesting to see how much of a factor it plays.
Old August 15, 2010, 05:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
key point your ambient temp range does not change enough and if your pressure stay the same it won't that much. where i am pressure can change fast and a lot and so can temps.

like today it went from 24 to 33 in just over an hour+ so ya when it comes down to it ambient matters when telling someone about your cooling loop. i am running at stock speeds for the summer and my temps never go over 55c. but in winter i can run at 4.0ghz at almost the same temps. ambient always matters.
like i get worse temps on my venomous why .. because it's almost 40+c in my living room.
You ought to get some AC then! My room is 20-24C all year round, regardless of what it's like outside. It starts out at 20C (sometimes 18-19C) in the mornings, then if I'm gaming away all evening, it gets up to 24C by the time I finish playing. In the winter though, I can get up to 26C or so with gaming and the furnace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
@jdrom - Good to hear, and those Scythe's are dead quiet aren't they?
Never had such a quiet fan at 12V honestly. Noctua P12s are loud in comparison IMO (as I have like 4 of them around)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Yeah ambient will play a factor, especially since my rad will be always getting fresh air. It'll be interesting to see how much of a factor it plays.
As in outdoor air? Not sure how wise that is in the summer... Definitely wouldn't want to be using 30-40C air. Winter would obviously be ideal though.