Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2010, 09:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Pump orientation

Hello all

Working on my next system and Ive run into a big of snag. Is it ok to mount my MCP655 upside down with the outlet facing down?

Will it affect the the system as a whole if i mount it this way or should i go back to the drawing board?
Old August 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would keep it on the right direction. The use of a pump is pushing water not pulling it. That's why she always have to be the lowest point in your loop.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 5, 2010, 09:37 PM
Banned
F@H

for optimal performance, i guess so. but if you cant do without, a small or maybe not so small sacrifice can be ok sometimes.
for vertical towers. but how about those that have the pc on one side? :)
Old August 5, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Hello all

Working on my next system and Ive run into a big of snag. Is it ok to mount my MCP655 upside down with the outlet facing down?

Will it affect the the system as a whole if i mount it this way or should i go back to the drawing board?
provided that pump is in the lower part of total loop, if was on top of loop then its a NO for pump isn't self priming also becomes a AIR TRAP straving pump to death
Old August 5, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

pump doesn't matter where its at in the loop as long as the inlet is being fed by the reservoir.

Reservoir should generally be the highest thing possible.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh the resevoir is as high as it will get in the case. Its a danger den dual 5.25" resevoir I have it placed in the top 2 bays of the case, and was contemplating putting the pump upside down in the bottom bay (3 5.25 bays) with the outlet pointing down and the inlet sticking out , but still being gravity fed from the resevoir. I have manged to make enough room at the bottom of the case to mount it stock and its as low as possible in the case.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

should be ok use good flowing fittings on inlet circuit
Old August 6, 2010, 05:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would mount a pump upside down, left / right whatever.

Put it forward, not backward. Upward not forward.. and always twirling, twirling towards victory.

On a more serious note - make sure you build the loop outside the case and be sure to bleed the air out of the lines for an extremely long time - rotating the pump / rad / block every so often to get every little bubble out. Having the pump upside down will definately want to trap air in it.
I would almost make the pump removeable so you can flip it right-side-up every so often just in case.. and monitor temps and the loop like a hawk for the first week you set it up.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
pump doesn't matter where its at in the loop as long as the inlet is being fed by the reservoir.

Reservoir should generally be the highest thing possible.
we have a winner pump placement or orientation does not matter. "the pumps" in is it's in and it's out is it's out as long as the the in is feed by the res no problems. right know i have a mcp350 on a 45 degree angle has been this way for over a year.
Old August 6, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes and no - the pump inlet shouldn't be facing directly downwards (Laing specifically warns against this), even if the reservoir is higher. Otherwise, as long as the reservoir can gravity-feed the pump, you should be fine.