Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2010, 09:48 AM
Allstar

Default quick wc question about fluids

Hey guys, i've had my watercooling setup for about a year and 7 months using clearflex 1/2 tubing, with feserone blue uv premix.

Sure enough the premix has separated over time, and im starting to see cloudy white stuff floating around and hanging off the barbs on my swifttech micro-res.

I was thinking of getting some primochill primoflex pro LRT UV blue tubing and just running distilled to prevent having to re-do my loop every year with the junky premix build up.

I want the blue UV look still, and am open to suggestions on what i could potentially run as tubing, or fluid.
If you think the primoflex lrt is decent, and distilled would be a good way to go, is there anything else i should be adding to the distilled water?

Thanks in advanced for any help guys!

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old August 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'd highly recommend going that route, really. The only thing you give up with coloured tubing is the lack of colour in any clear reservoirs/block tops. The LRT is anti-microbial, and bends well - lots of happy customers with the stuff.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'd go with what MPG said. I've got UV Blue tubing and distilled water (It's got Swiftech Hydrx in it, though it doesn't show through the tubes.) I still think you sould clean out your loop more often than a year though. I try for every 6 months.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 2, 2010, 12:29 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
The LRT is anti-microbial, and bends well - lots of happy customers with the stuff.
This is correct but it will not protect your blocks or the rest of your gear. Just the tubing.
Old August 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
This is correct but it will not protect your blocks or the rest of your gear. Just the tubing.
I have yet to see a comprehensive explanation on how the tubing does biocide duties. Are you saying it's contact only? In other words, stuff can't grow on the tubing itself, but the protection never actually enters the water itself?
Old August 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
Allstar

Quote:
I'd highly recommend going that route, really. The only thing you give up with coloured tubing is the lack of colour in any clear reservoirs/block tops.
hmm great point! i forgot that my res would just be plain and clear looking which sucks because its mounted right infront of my clear side on the case.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old August 2, 2010, 01:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
I have yet to see a comprehensive explanation on how the tubing does biocide duties. Are you saying it's contact only? In other words, stuff can't grow on the tubing itself, but the protection never actually enters the water itself?
AFAIK this is exactly how it works..
Old August 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no matter what your using you should still clean your loop at least once a year imho. i try to do it every 6 months but i have been doing it so long some times i forget
Old August 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Like everyone has said, your best bet is uv tubing with distilled water. Grab a bottle of PT Nuke or similar biocide to add to your water for protection. The active ingredient is copper sulphate, so you could just go to a hardware/farm supply store and buy some.

UV dyes are really not the way to go, as you've seen, they tend to separate and cause problems. A good route to go if you want some color in your reservoirs (not UV though) is to use a mixture of automotive coolant with water. Just mix it about 25-50% coolant. You can get coolant in red, green, and blue from prestone that I've seen. The coolant also includes biocide and corrosion protection.
Old August 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
AFAIK this is exactly how it works..
Sigh. Well if so, that's a crock of shite on Primochill's part. Although I'll allow that I have yet to see any growth in my own main system, despite having my EK res right in the sunlight.

Ah well, at least I still have a couple bottles of pt_nuke kicking around. Really need to grab a chunk of silver one of these days.