Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Please help with water cooling stuff. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/34763-please-help-water-cooling-stuff.html)

shadow of chaos August 1, 2010 06:24 AM

Please help with water cooling stuff.

Hi

just need a little help, first i have a swiftech MCR 320 drive radiator that i bought 2 months ago. it has integrated pump/res so i just bought a swiftech apogee XT waterblock and tubing to go with it and a rad box.

I set it up and leak tested, which apparently wasnt a good idea, because it had a big kink near the barb, after moving the tubing later it leaked. so i assume the big kink caused it after moving the tubing?.

I have not tried to use it since, the main problem is getting the tubing through my antec 1200, every time i put the tubing through the 2 separate holes it was kinking at the barb. I removed the rubber grommets and discovered i can fit both tubes through just 1 of the premade holes, it is a little squeeze but seems to fit fine.

picture of what it looks like connected through both premade case holes http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2462/kinktubing.jpg

and what it looks like through one of the premade holes
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2388/tubes.jpg

and what the tubing looks like this way from the radiator
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4376/img05732.jpg

So would it work alright this way?

lastly, i am not fussed on the plastic clamps that came with it, so i ordered some jubilee clips from here Zinc Plated Worm Drive Hose Clip for 3/4" (19mm) Outer Diameter Tubing : Jubilee |Specialtech UK Water Cooling Shop

now the part i am confused about is the size of the clips & my tubing, my tubing is masterkleer 1/2 ID and 11/16" OD, the jubilee clips are for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (19mm apparently) why can't they list the same sizes it will fit as the tubing? is it the right size?.

and one last thing, i scraped a little paint off my rad by accident by using pliers unstead of a spanner/wrench to tighten the barbs.. should the barbs be ok? they were a bit sharp after i did it.

Long post but i need just a bit of advice, thanks :biggrin:

gingerbee August 1, 2010 06:52 AM

well first off you only need to hand tighten those barbs to tight they will leak from crushing the "O" ring too your clamps should work fine. but me thinks that kink needs to go if you have to use bits from the hardware store to make to work then so be it ( a elbow was what i was thinking )

stoanee August 1, 2010 07:09 AM

Welcome to the fun of watercooling! As you have figured out, the manufacturers supplied routing etc. may not be the best way to do things. The shortest tubing run with the least amount of bends is optimal and you will have to decide how you want to do it. This may take several tries, do not be afraid of moving your tubing around until you get your best fit. As gingerbee stated the G 1/4 fittings do not like to be overtightened or side loaded, they may leak if they are. It sounds to me that the clamps should just fit. If not, you will have to reorder and save the old ones for your next project. Good luck!

shaw August 1, 2010 07:57 AM

Just be careful about that "hole" and that the edges are not sharp; otherwise they will cut through the tubing rather easily.
Use tye-wraps instead of worm-gear clamps. Easier, and much cheaper.

shadow of chaos August 1, 2010 10:03 AM

Hi

thanks for the replies, no the hole is not sharp, i have felt with my fingers and it is fairly smooth which is surprising.

But the clips i chose, nobody knows if they will fit the tubing ok?

enaberif August 1, 2010 10:46 AM

worm drive clamps or those plastic tube clamps i do not recommend as both can kink or cause problems with tubing.

just use cable ties.

shadow of chaos August 1, 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 410404)
worm drive clamps or those plastic tube clamps i do not recommend as both can kink or cause problems with tubing.

just use cable ties.

Well the kink only happens when i put the tubes through both holes, if i put both tubes through just the 1 hole it does not kink.

But you are saying worm drive clamps are no good at all? why cable ties? they would be so hard to remove? :sad:

MpG August 1, 2010 05:13 PM

Cable ties are an acquired taste - they work, but I don't like them myself. There's a very small dead zone near the clinch point where there's less pressure, which makes me nervous. And tightening them enough to eliminate that issue (in my own mind) requires a fair bit of pulling force, which yanks the barb sideways against its mounting, which also makes me just a little nervous. But they're cheap and disposable, and lots of people have absolutely no trouble with them. At the very least, if you use them, use them in pairs, with the clinch points opposite each other.

It's hard to tell for certain if those clamps will tighten down enough, as the picture doesn't show how far the tightening slots on the band actually. At a guess, I would say that they should be okay, since it's only 1/16" difference between the clamp's max and your tube O.D. With worm gear clamps, the rule of thumb that I've always used is to tighten them down enough that the band sinks just slightly into the tube surface. (In the future, you may want to consider the 1/2"-3/4" tubing, as the thicker walls are much more resistant to kinking, but that's another issue altogether.)

As for putting both tubes through the one hole - personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The tubing is obviously compressing slightly, but looking at the picture, I can't see the inside cross-sectional area being any smaller than with 3/8" tubing, and it's known that you give up very little performance with 3/8" tubing over 1/2". So I can't see one little point like that being much of an issue at all. And with the other routing, that kink could actually get worse once the system warms up and the tubing softens slightly.

JD August 1, 2010 08:29 PM

Regarding the whole clamping issue, that's why I like compressions. Granted they cost more, but they look great and hold the tubing nice and snug. Far simpler to use too.

Also as others have said, keep the pliers away. Hand tight is good enough, and if you have slippery hands, then I suppose half a turn with pliers after it's hand tight.

Another thought to help with the kinking, mount the radiator up a fan higher? I'm guessing your mounting off the top fan? Maybe use the 2nd fan instead on the radiator. Might get those barbs closer to the holes in the case.

shadow of chaos August 3, 2010 08:50 AM

I got my jubilee clips, they are hard to screw without jamming them in something or you would cut yourself :doh:

anyway, i fitted one onto a barb and while i was flushing the rad/tubing in the bathroom i wiggled the tubing around to see if it would leak, a tiny bit come out so i tightened it some more and it seems ok.

the problem is that every other barb seems to be quite short, the jubilee clips are wider than the flat bit you get on the barbs before it raises outward near the top if you know what i mean. is it ok to tighten the clips around the barbs this way or will it cut the tubing or not be secure?