Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default Watercooling in the Antec 900 - few questions

I read the other thread regarding watercooling in the Antec 900, happy to see I'm not the only one attempting this. Anyways here we go:
I have bought the following setup:

Rad: Thermochill 120.3 with the Thermochill G3/8 barbs
CPU water block: Fuzion with flow accelerators
Northbridge Waterblock: Enzotech SNBW-SLI Sapphire
GPU water block: Swiftech MCW60-R GPU Water Block + bracket (water cooling a HD2900XT)
RAM/mofast heatsinks: Swiftech MC21 + Enzotech BMR-C1 + Enzotech BCC9
Radbox: Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir
Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B
Swiftech Smartcoils 625 Blue
Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN
Arctic Silver 5
5x Yate Loon D12SL-12 plus a tricool (going to remove the tricool when I make my next purchase at NCIX)

Lots of Swiftech there

Anyways, I have read a number of threads and articles and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for my first water cooling build. As well as my first unassembly of the stock cooler on my GPU (lots of firsts). I know about heating the tubing (it's going to be a very tight fit onto that pump!). Anyone else have any suggestions for a first timer?

How did everyone here clean their thermochill rad, I heard about using vinager, however the instructions clearly states hot water only, suggestions?

As for the water cooling, I'm beginning to map it out in my head.
Anyone know if I could successfully mount my HDD in the top compartment with my DVD/CD drive? The reason I'm asking this, is because I'd put the resvoir in the middle and my pump in the lower section if this was possible. I'm mainly concerned about the cooling of the hard drive up there and vibrations, sure I could mod it somehow. Anyone done it before?

I'm thining about the following for my loop
res>pump>rad>CPU>NB>GPU>res
good or bad idea?

Any suggestions are welcomed as I want to get this right the first time, for obvious reasons.
James

Last edited by James_8970; November 29, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wish you luck. And hopefully you post a nice work log too

I have been considering watercooling my 900 too but money is an issue at this point in time for me.
Old November 29, 2007, 03:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

7/16" tubing over those pump barbs is very difficult - but feasible. I did it twice. Warm the tubing end, and be ready to put a lot of pressure.

Loop is fine, you may have to go for the GPU then the NB if it is too tight bends wise.

You have not mentionned the lenght of the masterclear tubing that you bought. I hope you will have enough - it ain't no fun missing a few inches of tubing to close the loop.

Good luck and post some pics!

John
Old November 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I did it twice. Warm the tubing end, and be ready to put a lot of pressure.
You aren't kidding.

I'm thinking the same about the loop and swaping the GPU and NB around as it'll be very close to kinking. I got 10feet of Mastercleen tubing, if I need more then that, I will truely be shocked, I'm only expecting to use 5-6feet.

Got my e-mail from Sidewinder computers today, my order doesn't come with a tracking number and doesn't come with insurance and to top it off I need to wait 1-3 weeks for it, never knew it was that bad, ! (this is the shipment with my FuZion block because I have no idea when NCIX will be getting it.)

Anyone have any suggestions of how to mount the hard drive to the top section of the case (underneath the DVD drive). I'm thiknking I'm going to have to improvise something.

James
Old November 29, 2007, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I wish you luck. And hopefully you post a nice work log too
Yeah, I could do that. Though you'll have to bear with poor pictures, right now I'm using the family's camera (3.1 mp, point and shoot camera, ). Next years purchase will be a SLR camera, sick of using a bad camera /rant.
James
Old November 30, 2007, 05:03 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
You aren't kidding.
Nope I'm not. They're very difficult.

Quote:
I'm thinking the same about the loop and swaping the GPU and NB around as it'll be very close to kinking. I got 10feet of Mastercleen tubing, if I need more then that, I will truely be shocked, I'm only expecting to use 5-6feet.
More than enough tubing. Don't worry. And swapping the GPU and NB is not a problem.
Quote:
Got my e-mail from Sidewinder computers today, my order doesn't come with a tracking number and doesn't come with insurance and to top it off I need to wait 1-3 weeks for it, never knew it was that bad, ! (this is the shipment with my FuZion block because I have no idea when NCIX will be getting it.)
What? I have ordered many times from Sidewinders and all their orders came with a tracking number and were at my doorsteps in 4-5 days.

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions of how to mount the hard drive to the top section of the case (underneath the DVD drive). I'm thiknking I'm going to have to improvise something.

James
Sorry, can't help you here - I don't own a 900.

John
Old November 30, 2007, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
What? I have ordered many times from Sidewinders and all their orders came with a tracking number and were at my doorsteps in 4-5 days.
Yes but I was cheap and didn't know the conditions of "first class" shipping (didn't want to buy express as it was like 25$). So yeah, I have 1-3 weeks of waiting, o well, one less distraction from studying
James
Old December 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

Alright I just got my northbridge waterblock in, the SNBW-SLI.
Anyone have any experience with this block, there are 3 different ways of mounting it.
Spring mount
Wire Clip mount
Hard Mount
I'm thining the Spring mount is the most recommend way of mounting this block, but was curious as to what other thought. Also, this states multiple times that this is compatible with most recent SLI boards (states nothing else about P35 or the alike), should be interesting to see if there is a particular reason for this. If no one knows how it should be mounted, I'll trial and error it What could go wrong, right?

So far I'm really impressed with the workmanship of the waterblock, it has a mirror finish and like everyone has already stated, it doesn't look very restrictive at all.

James

Last edited by James_8970; December 4, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old December 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Post yes i have a 900

yo sup thats easy use the 3.5 adapter that came with it for the floppy then u can put it in your 5.2 slots:)

REMEMBER THIS?:)

PERFECT FIT

whys is no one posting in my threads lol?
Old December 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect

Thats Genius! So smart I'm going to do it........if I can find that adapter (forgot about it's existence)
Thank you for that idea, that simplifies my loop so much, hopfully I don't buy another hardd drive in the future, cause then I'm screwed.
James