Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2010, 04:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Need help with Water Cooling Project

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you can give me some pointers and help with some parts for water cooling. I'm confused about the bits/fittings/compression fittings/barbs for my build and need advice on what to get. Currently I have or will get the following:

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 (Plan to get this soon)
CPU Block: Heatkiller 3.0 Limited Edition (I already own)
Rad: Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 (I already own)
Tubing: Tygon Tubing or Permochil
Tube Coils: Primochill 3/4IN Anti-Kink Tube Coils UV Red
Fans for the RAD: Delta or Scythe Ultra Kazes

Reservoir: Unsure of at the moment.
Fittings/barbs/bits/compresssion fittings: Unsure, need help
Xtop: I was wondering what does the Xtop do for a pump? I tried looking with google and didn't find any clear answers...

Any help would be most welcome.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect

New to WC myself and just waitin for my parts to come in. Read lots of stuff from ocn xs and google searches. For pump tops specifically yours you can read this which is a review for the ek top. Had alot of problems with fittings myself until i ran into youtube video below which explained alot. Hope this helps.

YouTube - EN Watercooling Basics: Fittings 101
Old July 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You are going to need 1/2" ID 3/4" OD fittings, compression fittings are great for ensuring good seals and dont need clamps, as for barb fittings your going to need clamps. . As for the xtop, i never got the point of it since i have dual 5.25" bay resevoir.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Im thinking of a dual 5.25" Res that can hold the MCP655, any thoughts on this?
Old August 2, 2010, 12:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Im thinking of a dual 5.25" Res that can hold the MCP655, any thoughts on this?
Yes, don't do it.

Apparently bay reservoirs with the pump attached has caused many problems in the past (e.g T3).

However, I personally have a T3 rev.A myself and haven't had problems for almost 6 months now. Although I am waiting patiently for the derlin T4 to come out.

Some say the XSPC variant should be fine, I wouldn't know though.

Many would recommend tube reservoirs (EK water blocks) as I believe they have the least probability to crack, for reasons I do not know.

Old August 2, 2010, 06:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The XSPC dual-bay D5 unit is built pretty solid from how it looks, but I'm waiting until I can afford my second radiator before I upgrade the loop to test it out.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old August 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok so I have decided to get compression fittings and a tube Res. Im looking into it and will order from Dazmode. I have to do some other upgrades to my PC first though.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Many would recommend tube reservoirs (EK water blocks) as I believe they have the least probability to crack, for reasons I do not know.
I do recommend the EKs, but not because they don't crack- my first one split up the side. If this one does, I will reconsider them as a useful component. I do like them because they're practical and look good- easy to set up with a fillport and lots of tubing configurations availabke. I dropped my mcp655 in favor of the 355 because they can attach to the bottom of the res with a fitting which saves a lot of space and looks good. (also, the lower flow rate is better suited to my boreas)
Old August 3, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Aaah bloody hell just get a Swiftech Mcres Micro and call it a day.. It looks ugly, but it does the job.. :p

I've been a fan of barbs and worm clamps, but compression fittings seem to be taking over the water cooling industry now..

Tubing, definitely Primochill, period. Anti-Kink coils, don't think you'll need them, good to have though.

Gotta agree with Babr for 355 and res, no need to run extra tubing, plus saves more space, but the choice depends on what you're cooling, some cases you need a 655 since it does a better job.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 3, 2010, 05:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Bahh too many options lol. I will get it sorted out.