Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Indigo Xtreme worth it over MX-3?

So as the title states, is Indigo Xtreme worth it over MX-3 (or any other paste you recommend)?

I'm curious since I'll be tearing apart my loop in a month or two, so I'm starting to stockpile stuff. If it'll drop a few degrees off my CPU, then I'm game.

Alternatively, I was looking at that IC 24 Carat Diamond paste, but it's only 4.5W/mK where as MX-3 is 8.3W/mK. Then there's Tuniq TX-4 and Prolimatech PK-1.

I don't know, so many choices...

And for reference, I have an i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz (maybe more), with a Heatkiller Nickel Plated block from Daz.
Old July 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Go to Skinnee Labs and see his reviews , I'm useing it and my 920 is 3 to 4C cooler than mx2
Old July 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You won't see more than a few degrees difference between pastes, and that kind of difference is meaningless anyway. Just go with whatever is decent and is being sold for a reasonable price.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:49 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You won't see more than a few degrees difference between pastes, and that kind of difference is meaningless anyway. Just go with whatever is decent and is being sold for a reasonable price.
This. I'll stick w/ my 22G of Ceramique for $7 thanks.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a 30g tube of generic thermal compound from DealExtreme for about $3 a while ago. I stick to MX-2 for my more important hardware (although my Zalman heatsink came with a tube of STG-2 so I used that), but for everything else the generic stuff works fine, and since it was dirt cheap I don't have to worry about wasting a bit or doing frequent reapplications. For that matter, I haven't actually measured the difference between that and my better paste, so for all I know it might be performing just as well.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just finally put in my last order for my Murdermod and decided to give Indigo a try. I will be finishing this rig then leaving it alone so I had an easier time spending the extra money on squeezing every last drop of cooling power out of it. I hope that I get the performance advertised out of it. Time will tell
Old July 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My friend Ramiro tested it. No (substantial) gains over MX-3.
Old July 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Alright then. Guess it's a pass.

I only have 3 tubes of MX-3 anyhow
Old July 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think I will trust Vapors conclusions, that is to try it. I mean the guy has impeccable testing methodology and I am pretty sure few have as many block mounts under their belt as him. He seemed pretty stoked about it... I also find it funny that people will flock from one block to the new one when they are less than 1-2c apart and dismiss this new TIM style altogether
Old July 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
I think I will trust Vapors conclusions, that is to try it. I mean the guy has impeccable testing methodology and I am pretty sure few have as many block mounts under their belt as him. He seemed pretty stoked about it... I also find it funny that people will flock from one block to the new one when they are less than 1-2c apart and dismiss this new TIM style altogether
The only hassle I see is the installation procedure. Need to unplug my pump and let my CPU run upwards of 100C, until it magically drops to 80C, then connect my pump back. Seems slightly worrying IMO.