Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2010, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Fortress 2 Watercooling?

Looking at possibly moving to watercooling in my not-so-watercooling friendly Fortress 2.

basically, just looking at ways to keep my video cards running cooler, will probably just run my CPU under a corsair H50.

has anyone used one of these?

XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Laing D5 / MCP655 w/ Blue LED Light - Clear / Silver / Black - FrozenCPU.com

As of right now, plan is to use the above res/pump (to save space), take out 2 of the bottom 180 fans completely, and put in a 3x120 rad, with maybe push pull fan setup (if there's enough clearance), otherwise just push, and of course whatever waterblocks for my 480's.

Also, main concern is noise from the pump and overall space taken up within the case, so would going with a smaller pump/res (i.e. single bay) still be ok for what I want to run?
Old July 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That should work fine. There's also the DDC version as well, which supports dual-loops. This way you could have a CPU loop and GPU loop, rather than using the H50. Get a higher quality 120.1 and good block. Probably work better, but a bit more costly.
Old July 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yea, i probably won't need it since I won't be overclocking things like crazy. Plus routing tubes from the bays to where the CPU is might be a bit of a challenge. With this plan, there would be minimal tubing. Given this would be my 1st watercooling attempt, going with an H50 would make things a little easier for me.

what would be the difference between a DDC pump and the other pump style (the one i posted). Is one quieter/better than the other? pretty sure there's some trade offs with each.
Old July 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They're fairly comparable. I think the DDC may do slightly better in higher restriction loops though.

However I wouldn't suggest buying the H50. You'd be better off with a decent heatsink and fan setup.

Couldn't you squeeze a 120.4 radiator in the bottom? Then you could just do a single loop for everything.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

dazmode has the dual ddc dual loop xspc res is stock now if your ordering out of canada you should check it out.

655 is quieter but 355 is usually cheaper and i think has more pressure wich is good

either way if your going wil the bay resivour with internal pump mounts you wont hear much of anything its supposed to muffle the noise conciderably. u should go dual loop /w 355's and 3/8 tubeing. thats what im doing.
Old July 27, 2010, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
They're fairly comparable. I think the DDC may do slightly better in higher restriction loops though.

However I wouldn't suggest buying the H50. You'd be better off with a decent heatsink and fan setup.

Couldn't you squeeze a 120.4 radiator in the bottom? Then you could just do a single loop for everything.
The hard drive cage would probably restrict the thickness of the rad + fans. given that I already have 1 bay for a fan controller, and an optical drive, and then 2 for the bay res, removing the hard drive cage wouldn't be practical.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect

if you can fit a thick rad in the bottom like a fesser you could probably get away with a 360 rad in a single loops set up just make sure u get some good fans and put high air flow through it. your temp would be alright, or hang a rad off the back drill acouple mounting holes if you have to. itll look ugly but your temps would be sweet and you could go with low air flow fans / rads and have a silent setup.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrage View Post
As of right now, plan is to use the above res/pump (to save space), take out 2 of the bottom 180 fans completely, and put in a 3x120 rad, with maybe push pull fan setup (if there's enough clearance), otherwise just push, and of course whatever waterblocks for my 480's.
So I am a water cooling noob, could someone explain how a 3x120 rad "mounts" in the space where you remove 2x180 fans? I understand that the length equals 360 on both but wouldn't the 3.120 rad be too thin to fit in the 180mm wide holes?
Old July 28, 2010, 06:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So I am a water cooling noob, could someone explain how a 3x120 rad "mounts" in the space where you remove 2x180 fans? I understand that the length equals 360 on both but wouldn't the 3.120 rad be too thin to fit in the 180mm wide holes?
You'd center it within those holes, or off to one side. Wouldn't really matter since air can still be sucked in.

Watercooling always requires some minor modding, in this case it would involve making some new mounting holes for 120mm fans.
Old July 28, 2010, 07:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the case came with brackets to center a rad over 2 of the 180 fans. Which i'm quite sure I could just use on the case if i completely removed the 180mm fans.