Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2010, 11:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default How does this setup look? (First time WCer)

Hey guys,

Just built my new system - and i'd like to try watercooling for the first time. I havnt done too much shopping around, but I made a quick-list from Dazmod on the things *I think* seem okay. Please feel free to offer other retailers, as well as products in place of what I have. I think I have everything I need in this list, but if i'm missing anything - Please do tell!
(Only CPU block for now, I may plan on putting a GPU block on my 5970 though)

CPU Block

DAZMODE Limited Edition EK Supreme (Classic) Full Nickel Block

$74.99

DAZMODE Limited Edition EK Supreme (Classic) Full Nickel Block Limited Edition EK Supreme water block [EK-Supreme-Full Nickel] - $74.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Rad

TFC Xchanger - Double High Performance Radiator 240 Gen1

$89.99

TFC Xchanger - Double High Performance Radiator 240 Gen1 TFC Xchanger - Double Radiator 240 [TFC240] - $89.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Resevoir

XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Single Loop

$58.99

XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Single Loop XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Singlel Loop [XSPC-DBSL-1DCC] - $58.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Pump

Swiftech MCP 355 Water Pump 2Gal/Min

$69.99

Swiftech MCP 355 Water Pump 2Gal/Min [MCP355] - $69.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Barb (2x res, 2x rad, 2x pump, 2x block = 8)

3/8" ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black

$3.29

3/8 ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black 3/8 ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black [BP-MBWP-C02] - $3.29 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Tubing

Feser Tube Hose - 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - CLEAR (1') - NOT UV

$1.42 per foot (is 12 feet enough?)

Feser Tube Hose - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - CLEAR (1') - NOT UV Active UV Hose for Liquid Cooling Systems [Feser Tube UV Hose 3/8ID-1/2OD] - $1.42 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Liquid

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - UV ORANGE

$18.99

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - UV ORANGE Cooling Fluid, UV Orange [F1 Orange] - $18.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Since I am going with a clear tubing, and UV active liquid I will be needing some UV lights. I think i'm fairly decided on getting 3x 5mm ones for the resevoir holes. I will also be getting 2x LED strips 4.7" from Oznium as i've got car and other 12v lighting from them. These strips are wonderful. I'm realling aimming to hide the LEDs as best as possible, so you only see the light they give off as well as the liquid that will be glowing in the res/tubes. A little 2-sided tape to hide the led strips in the case should be easy enough, then I will just splice them into the 12v on a molex.
Old July 21, 2010, 12:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

everything is goood except that i would've gone for mcp655 and NON-bay reservoir

Btw, i bought 2x 6.5ft tubing and only used 1... in a HAF932 case, from the top fill port -> EK150 (and drain port to the bottom of the case) -> MCP655 -> HWL 2x120 -> EK Supreme HF

U could buy extra if u didnt cut the tubing some extra lag
Old July 21, 2010, 12:13 AM

My System Specs

I wouldn't go for that block. At least go w/ an EK Supreme HF. The classic does not perform as well.

Your tubing sucks. You may need to go elsewhere besides Dazmode for that though. 3/8ID 1/2OD tubing has horrible bend radius. I would highly suggest Primoflex LRT 3/8ID 5/8OD.

Otherwise everything looks good to me eh.
Old July 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mo_t View Post
everything is goood except that i would've gone for mcp655 and NON-bay reservoir

Btw, i bought 2x 6.5ft tubing and only used 1... in a HAF932 case, from the top fill port -> EK150 (and drain port to the bottom of the case) -> MCP655 -> HWL 2x120 -> EK Supreme HF

U could buy extra if u didnt cut the tubing some extra lag
Thanks! Mind posting some pics of your setup? I also have a 932 - Figured bay res was good...so it fits in bay! I'll check out some non-bay res's. Are box res's okay and just not bay res? Or should I be looking at tube only res's? I really wanna try and jam the res where my 5.25 drives go as I have 4 slots available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I wouldn't go for that block. At least go w/ an EK Supreme HF. The classic does not perform as well.

Your tubing sucks. You may need to go elsewhere besides Dazmode for that though. 3/8ID 1/2OD tubing has horrible bend radius. I would highly suggest Primoflex LRT 3/8ID 5/8OD.

Otherwise everything looks good to me eh.
Thanks, i'll see where I can find PrimoFlex tubing, as well as i'll get the EK Supreme block too.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would stay away from Feser One Coolant with dye. Just use distilled water and a silver coil, or distilled water with PK Nuke. I seen many peoples rig with crud within the water block/rad due to the coolant dye.
Old July 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
I would stay away from Feser One Coolant with dye. Just use distilled water and a silver coil, or distilled water with PK Nuke. I seen many peoples rig with crud within the water block/rad due to the coolant dye.

Thanks, yeah after doing some reading, I think i'll just get a UV colored tube instead. Glows brighter and then you can just use plain old distilled water with some sort of algae prevention agent.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShay View Post
Thanks, yeah after doing some reading, I think i'll just get a UV colored tube instead. Glows brighter and then you can just use plain old distilled water with some sort of algae prevention agent.
But keep in mind that if only tube glows then nothing glow inside reservoir and possibly blocks (if plexi top was selected).

I use both tube and UV liquid (F1) in my own systems for maximum effect. I change my liquid every 6-9 months and have never had any problems with dye separation.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
MVP
F@H

I'd only like to reiterate Smoothie's point: coolants sucks -- distilled water only.

Parts are decent, but don't forget to focus on the actual setup. Ease of draining and refilling your loop(s) is worth all the planning/modding that goes into it. The more frequently you can maintain your rig, the smoother it will run and the longer you can go without a complete teardown/clean up.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old July 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 for Primochill tubing, very good tubing really, I think it's better than Tygon too.

+1 on Distilled Water only, especially if you get Primochill tubing, some sources say primochill tubing have pre-applied biocide inside the tube..

I have nothing against the pre-mixed Feser One UV coolants (not dyes), used it for over an year in my loop and no corrosion or anything happened, although remember with a UV tube, coolant will not really show much, I always prefer going with white tubing and a UV coolant for some really good effect, that is if you were going with coolant.

I know the bling bling factor is important, but honestly when your side panel is closed, who's gonna look inside really, and then you also need UV fans/or a uv cold cathode tube, which is extra cost to really see a UV effect, personally I much rather spend my cash on some real good radiator/case fans, then to spend on some expensive UV fans that are gonna suck on a radiator.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution