Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2010, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Water cooling Questions.

Hey guys,

I'm just looking to plan out my first watercooling loop.
I'm looking for something that will help me push my E8400 higher as well as keep my GTX480 cool, while at the same time retaining the ability to be fairly "upgradeable".
So something slightly over-kill initially, allowing the opportunity to push SLI GTX480's in the future, and potentially an upgrade to an i7 chip as well.
I realize obviously that the CPU blocks will likely not be interchangeable, and I would rather not plan on that ability anyways as by the time I upgrade their may be a new core architecture out by that time anyways.

Basically I am looking for opinions on the various products that NCIX carries, and maybe recommendations outside as well(would like to keep it to NCIX as they have always treated me well and deserve my business.) So the pros out there if you have a moment of your time to give me a basic outline of what I am looking into, I want to go over-kill with the idea that in the future I will have two GTX480's for sure.

Case suggestions that are easier to work with are more than welcome as well, as I am using an older thermaltake armor still. Heh.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old July 20, 2010, 04:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Corsair Obsidian 800D or the CM HAF-X should be good for cases. The CPU block will be fine, most blocks come with 775 1156 and 1366 mounts, so if you upgrade to i7, I'd recommend the EK Supreme HF.

Are you planning on 1 loop or 2?

Honestly, if you're in Canada watercooling gear is pretty limited. NCIX has a few things, but Dazmode is really where the good gear can be found. If you're in the states its much easier with places like PPC's and Sidewinder.
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old July 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheGG View Post
Corsair Obsidian 800D or the CM HAF-X should be good for cases. The CPU block will be fine, most blocks come with 775 1156 and 1366 mounts, so if you upgrade to i7, I'd recommend the EK Supreme HF.

Are you planning on 1 loop or 2?

Honestly, if you're in Canada watercooling gear is pretty limited. NCIX has a few things, but Dazmode is really where the good gear can be found. If you're in the states its much easier with places like PPC's and Sidewinder.
I agree completely. HAFX or 800D should be the current top choices for watercooling. Although, the ATCS 840 seems popular and Lian-Li has some cool looking cases as well.

I am currently running an original armor as well, but I just ordered an 800d after not being able to find a 700d (without ridiculous shipping).

ForTheGG is right about the CPU blocks as well. Most, if not all, come with mounting accessories for AMD, 775, 1156 and 1366. Afer trying a few different ones I have become a fan of EK myself.

Check out skinnee labs for some watercooling gear reviews.

Skinnee Labs | Home