Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Help With Watercooling! Gasp!

Ok, so, for the first time ever, I'm feeling up to watercooling my computer, and because throwing a bucket of water at your motherboard doesn't seem to work, I need to get a kit together!

Anywho, on to a more serious note (if that is possible...) I'm looking to get together a kit and set it up inside my case (the Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570), as I really don't feel like having stuff sticking outside my case unless I really have to. Also, I'm looking to cool my CPU and GPU (hopefully eventually x2). I've been hunting around for part information, but as being completely new to the watercooling scene I am so lost. So if anyone has idea's for parts for a kit, I would be most obliged...and I would give you a cookie...
Old November 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Go for this one: NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Essentials 240 CPU Water Cooling Kit - ESSENTIALS 240 H20 KIT In Canada. then add 1 or 2 GPU blocks no problem. Or go for the Swiftech H2O-220 Apec Ultra+ and and a second GPU block.

Watercooling ain't cheap, but is very efficient - check out my review of the small NCix Essentials 120 kit Reviewer Tryouts: NCIx Essentials 120 Water cooling kit.

John
Old November 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Go for this one: NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Essentials 240 CPU Water Cooling Kit - ESSENTIALS 240 H20 KIT In Canada. then add 1 or 2 GPU blocks no problem. Or go for the Swiftech H2O-220 Apec Ultra+ and and a second GPU block.

Watercooling ain't cheap, but is very efficient - check out my review of the small NCix Essentials 120 kit Reviewer Tryouts: NCIx Essentials 120 Water cooling kit.

John
I second the NCIX kit- the best way to get your feet wet- good component choices for a good price, and you know you have the parts you need.
Old November 25, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

I could have sworn there were a few member here who had 570 cases... Looking at photos, keeping everything inside could be tricky.

You could match a double-rad up to the two rear fans, with the water outlets at the bottom, but I'm pretty sure that would hit the top video card. There no clearance above, thanks to the PSU. It doesn't look like there's enough clearance at the front of the motherboard either. Beyond that, you're probably looking at breaking out the dremel or jigsaw and cutting the case...

If you were willing to hang the radiator outside, the Swiftech Radbox would work nicely, and it's a short trip to thse two holes, without having too much loose tubing or wiring outside the case. In fact, a triple-rad would probably fit nicely there (and help cool that second GPU!), without completely interfering with your monitor cable.
Old November 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I second the triple rad, for a dual GPU block setup. And having the rad outside, installed with the radbox is very functionnal with next to no hoses out of the case.
Old November 26, 2007, 03:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

Curses! I was kinda hoping someone would be able to find a way to sneak the system inside, but oh well, not the end of the world!

...or is it?

And I see you guys recommending a triple rad, but the 240 only goes with a duel rad, so would it just be better to rebuilt the kit myself and go with a triple rad? Ugh, more questions, is there any recommended upgrades to the kit if I just rebuilt it myself?

Anywho, thanks for the help guys!

Actually...one more question (told you guys there's always more questions ), what do you guys recommend as coolant/additives, let just say I never knew there was so many different types -_-
Old November 26, 2007, 08:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Having your Water Cooling setup all built inside a case can be a royal pain. There are cases that are designed for it or cases that are simply big enough for them. I personally just build cases to fit. However my suggestion to you is to think carefully about what you want in the end. Seeing how you want everything in one nice neat package and knowing that your not experienced in Water cooling. Your safest bet would be to get yourself a case that would EASILY fit a water cooling system and have the water cooling system itself as simple as POSSIBLE. Trust me, they can get complicated quick.

Whats your system details? I'll help you find something that will work and hopefully put a smaller dent in your wallet.
Old November 26, 2007, 03:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ha, thanks, though like I said it my last post, it's not the end of the world if it's using a radbox sticking off the back, it was more a novelty . And I really ought to stick my specs in my sig sooner or later, anywho, here they are;
cpu: AMD 64 X2 6400
Mobo: M2N-Sli Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BallistiX Tracer 2GB PC2-6400 (2x1GB)
GPU: EVGA 8600GT (ugh, I'll get around to upgrading this...I swear)
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
PSU: Antec Truepower Quattro 850W

And as for price, as long as it's no higher then around $300 I don't mind xD
Old November 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you rebuild the kit, the Watercooling Essentials kit is a good place to start, since all those parts are available seperately.

Change the Swiftech MCR220 radiator for the MCR320 (triple rad), since like I said earlier, that 570 case would probably have no trouble holding that on the outside.

Another thing worth considering is changing the MCP655-B water pump to the MCP655 pump, which has a 5-way adjustable speed control, giving you some control over the noise levels.

I'm pretty sure those two changes would come in under your budget.
Old November 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

So yeah, went ahead, and sorted through all the parts, and found everything...other then two items. So far comes out to $208.94. All that's left is for me to pick up 3 Antec Tri-Cool fans (dunno if I'm going with LED lights on them or not yet...), the tubing, and if I'm not mistaken I need barbs. Oh, and the fluid. So yeah, by the end, probably around $300.

So, another question, what size tubing should I go for? The 240 Essentials says 7/16'', but I swear it looks as though it would only except 1/2''. *is confused*

Anywho, yay for part list;

Swiftech APOGEE GT; 44.99
Swiftech MCR320 Radiator; 44.99
Swiftech MCP655 Pump; 74.99
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Clear Hi-Flow Reservoir; 19.99
Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox; 19.99
Err...random barb here...
Magicool Random Color Here UV Reactive Cable Ties; 3.99
Random Fluid Here
Once again, random tubing here
Antec Tri-Cool Fans x3; Price varies if I get it with UV lights or not

I beleive that's everything o_o

And The reason behind the random color is because I dunno what colors I want to go with yet

And once again, thanks for the continuing help! And that's alot of swiftech