Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2010, 11:31 PM
Top Prospect

Question OMG Is this XSPC's answer to the Typhoon III?

OMG do want. Can it fit in the Corsair 800D? I know some the XSPC bay res's had an issue where you needed file the 800D's bay shelves (or w/e they're called).

XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Laing D5 / MCP655 w/ Blue LED Light - Clear / Silver / Black - FrozenCPU.com

If it is, this may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen
Old July 6, 2010, 08:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
OMG do want. Can it fit in the Corsair 800D? I know some the XSPC bay res's had an issue where you needed file the 800D's bay shelves (or w/e they're called).
Really? Had that issue with my FT01-BW too. Not a huge deal though, I sanded down the sides of the reservoir faceplate after realizing sanding the case wasn't really going too fast.

And judging by the picture, looks like the same style of faceplate. Probably suffers from the same issue.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

the issue was not a faceplate issue, but the indents in the side of the res.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Brushed aluminum too...looks like a decent space-saver. I have a couple of these pumps too. Will have to wait until the end of the summer for me (it I have any cash left). Nice find. Maybe Dazmode will carry something like this?
Fold for team #54196
Old July 6, 2010, 01:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My 2 cents: avoid bay reservoirs at all costs. They are a bitch to fill, and the glue/acrylic box combo is 1000x more likely to fail than any 'cylinder' type reservoir.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old July 6, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

interesting adaptation, my only concern is being glued acrylic, I've used XSPC in the past along with the Typhoon III (disaster!) and Danger Den and frankly they all proved to be unreliable IMO. I'll never use an acrylic bay res. again personally, I'll stick with acetal and find a place to put the pump.

ninja'd by Liu Kang

Old July 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Kang View Post
My 2 cents: avoid bay reservoirs at all costs. They are a bitch to fill, and the glue/acrylic box combo is 1000x more likely to fail than any 'cylinder' type reservoir.
I don't totally disagree with this however if done right, filling can be made not to stressful, I had a pretty easy time filling the 2 bay res's for the Widow, alot does depend on the case as well.

Old July 6, 2010, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

Of course the only practical solution to water cooling is "unreliable". I've been using an XSPC bay res for months no prob. I don't see how anyone can tolerate wasting space in their case.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been using a Danger Den acrylic bay res for a while with no problems. Acrylic isn't really just "glued". The product used to join acrylic actually isn't an adhesive at all. It softens the two pieces of acrylic, which then merge. This process is more akin to welding than gluing.

Though you guys are right in that it is much easier for a small manufacturer to screw up bonding acrylic than threading premade acrylic tubing.

Just think of the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of some large acrylic fish tanks. Much more pressure than a watercooling pump.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I'm not saying they are all junk or anything (except for the Typhoon III), just in my past experiences with them they have proven time and again to fail, be it cracking, leaking, discolouring etc. I just prefer to use acetal for a bay res., either that or a tube style only for acrylic, but hey, thats just my personal preference.