Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 05:02 AM
Rookie

Default Starting first water cooling loop, would like some insight.

Hello hello,

I'm starting my first watercooled loop and I would like some insight and guidance on the parts that I've found and how I should go about setting this up.

Right now I have:

2x Koolance CPU-360
2x Koolance Socket G34 adapter pins (not sure if I need 4 since it's two to a set.)
1x Koolance 4x120mm radiator
1x Bottle of 700ml of coolant
1x Koolance 80mm 157 ml reservoir
2x Koolance VID-NX480
4x pairs of nozzles
1x Koolance 450s pump
4x 1 ft pieces of tubing

My initial concerns are:

Will the radiator be able to fit on a HAF X?
Have I forgotten any parts?
Are the pieces that I've amassed in good standing from one's experience?

I'm getting this setup for an Asus KGPE-D16, 2x 6172, and 2x EVGA GTX 480
Koolance is the only brand that has fittings for the G34 socket, or at least the only brand that I've found. If a more reputable brand happens to carry one, I'd be more than willing to switch to that.

Thanks for your help!
EVGA GTX 590
Samsung EcoGreen 2TB x4
Corsair 32GB SSD
Xigmatek Elysium
Razer Mamba
Silverstone 1500W PSU
Old July 2, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nothing wrong with those parts, I'd say.

I suspect that you'll need more coolant to fill that rad and all those blocks. And I'm nearly positive that you can't fit a quad radiator inside a HAF-X. Triple, yes, quad, no.

Considering that you have six key items (four blocks, one pump, one res, that in itself will generally require six pieces of tubing. And in my experience, it's amazing what one foot of tubing will almost reach. Grab a 10 foot roll of appropriate-sized tubing - you'll probably mess up a piece or two and need the extra.

You don't say what kind of nozzles - compression fittings? If not, you'll need clamps for each nozzle. You'll also need fittings for the reservoir, and clamps for the pump.
Old July 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Nothing wrong with those parts, I'd say.

I suspect that you'll need more coolant to fill that rad and all those blocks. And I'm nearly positive that you can't fit a quad radiator inside a HAF-X. Triple, yes, quad, no.

Considering that you have six key items (four blocks, one pump, one res, that in itself will generally require six pieces of tubing. And in my experience, it's amazing what one foot of tubing will almost reach. Grab a 10 foot roll of appropriate-sized tubing - you'll probably mess up a piece or two and need the extra.

You don't say what kind of nozzles - compression fittings? If not, you'll need clamps for each nozzle. You'll also need fittings for the reservoir, and clamps for the pump.
Yeah, I picked up 14 feet and switched to a triple. I have regular nozzles for most of the blocks and I picked up 2 angled nozzles for the graphics cards. I also got a bridge for the graphics so I can cut down on the tubing. The regualr nozzles, 6 of them are compression, the angled one, I don't think so.
EVGA GTX 590
Samsung EcoGreen 2TB x4
Corsair 32GB SSD
Xigmatek Elysium
Razer Mamba
Silverstone 1500W PSU
Old July 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I highly recommend reading the reviews on skinnee labs website. http://skinneelabs.com/ek-supreme-hf.html?page=4

They have reviews for pumps, waterblocks, rads etc.

I'm not an AMD guy... is Opteron the same as G34? If so, the EK Supreme HF blocks will work. EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel - CPU Blocks - Blocks

The 450 is the same as a swiftech 655, or more commonly called a D5, just FYI. It is a good pump, but I recommend going with the 450 rather than the 450s. For a few bucks the variable speed control is nice.

There is no need to go with all the same brand equipment if you don't want to, provided everything has G1/4 threads.