Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Default Anti-Bacteria / Anti-Algae products in Canada?

I know people use silver killcoils and PTnuke...but that is hard to find in Canada!!

I dont want to pay more than the product in shipping haha

Is there anything I can use? I will be running either Feser One coolant or distilled + Feser One dye

Thanks, Herman.

Also, I am mounting a triple radiator (mcr320) internally in a cm690ii, 1/3 of the radiator will not have a direct blowhole...would it still perform better than a dual radiator (mcr220)
Old June 30, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

find a color of antifreeze you like and use it. or you can check local pond store's. jmo
Old June 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The active ingredient in PT Nuke is "Copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate 4.1%"

copper sulfate pentahydrate is just the naturally occurring version of copper (II) Sulfate.

Copper (II) sulfate has many uses. Farmers used to use it to treat their own fence posts, it is used in some swimming pool systems as an anti algae, it can be used to clean up algae infested ponds or farmers dugouts, and it is commonly used to clean RV septic systems, and for killing tree roots that have grown through pipes.

You can find it at any agricultural store (though usually in large quantities) or at most hardware stores for the last two uses I listed.

Another option is Iodine. It has many medical uses as an antiseptic. It is not widely used anymore, as it is too effective and can cause some damage to living tissue. You can still buy it at most pharmacies. Some versions of Iodine/Iodide are used in industrial closed loop cooling applications.

Another option is antifreeze (ethylene glycol). mix it with distilled water (25-50% antifreeze).

If you have any acrylic in your system, do not use anything with alcohol in it. both methanol and ethanol can cause acrylic to become brittle. This does not happen with other plastics such as delrin, acetal, or nylon.

I see that petras also sells a biocide based on "Benzalkonium chloride 1.65%"
Personally I know nothing about this chemical, but I'm sure you could google some local sources for it.
Old June 30, 2010, 04:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

All the things dustin mentioned will work. Any copper (II) salt will work, sulfate, chloride, you could even electrolyze sodium chloride solution to make it yourself, if you like. If you do use copper sulfate, you only need a tiny quantity; a few milligrams. Silver is a good option. There's nothing special about killcoils, any piece of reasonably pure silver will work, so long as it isn't so small as to get swept into the pump or whatever. Same thing with iodine. Most pharmacies sell iodine tincture, which is 10% or so solution in ethanol. A few drops should do. Benzalkonium chloride is often found in antiseptics, but the other choices are probably easier to find. Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) works, but must account for a significant fraction of your coolant volume to effectively kill microorganisms. Personally, I run with 200 ppm silver acetate and 100 ppm copper (II) acetate as biocide, but there's a lot of choices.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
Rookie

hmm so what are my options?

I will be using a MCRes which is made of acrylic i think? So what is the easiest (cheapest) solution for me now?
Old June 30, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Go to a jewlery store and see if they have any silver strips? I havn't asked this before, but it might work - the only thing I worry about is if it would be the .999 silver that the killcoils are, and how much a jewlery store would charge :(

As for the question about the 120.3 (without a third fan) being better than a 120.2, Im going to say yes. It would work as a passive cooling point. Some air flow should be used though.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
MVP

I had the same problem, I ended up ordering a 12" strip of .999 silver from Silver Supplies | .999 Fine Silver Sheet

Took around a 3-4 weeks till I saw it unfortunately. But I found that my loop didn't grow anything in that time with just plain distilled.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've seen a few reports about iodine and copper not playing well together, and alcohol and acrylic are definitely a bad combination, so I'd stick to Copper Sulphate or silver if possible. Either are perfectly with acrylic, and work fine. If you use the Copper Sulphate, only use a drop or two/liter max.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have to confess that I forgot to put something in one of my rigs and run it for 8 months on pure water. Interesting enough there was no gunk after I took everything apart recently. Won't do it again, but kind of interesting...
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 2, 2010, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

I'm using a twisted 12'' .999 pure silver wire (around 10$ shipping included on Ebay.ca...) in all my res, with 1 drop of Lugol's solution in each. Every pharmacist on the planet can sell or order you a 100ml bottle of Lugol (around 10$).

2 years with crystal clear water in every loop I have. :)