Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2010, 04:07 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Keep in mind, shipping stuff from the States can also take considerably longer especially with USPS because stuff usually gets stuck in customs for longer. Factor in 2-3 additional shipping days.

You also WILL get dinged $5 min for brokering through USPS, and you get charged both taxes no matter what.

As someone mentioned earlier, most US stores won't accept Canadian CC's either, so paypal is the only option and you are paying an extra 2% for their padded exchange.

And there is always the warranty issue if anything goes wrong.

Plenty of good shops up in Canada that carry stuff. I would exhaust resources here first, you almost always winding up paying the same amount anyways.
I've never had a store not take my CC. And you can use Paypal but choose to use your CC's exchange rate so no extra 2%.

I still try to buy everything from Canada, although there is a lot of gear made by smaller companies that just are not available anywhere north of the border.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have only been charged by USPS once Fixt. There have been dozens of times I wasnt charged a single penny more then I already paid.
Old June 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
Rookie

If you have a CBSA office reasonable close to you, than you can pay the duties and taxes your self and avoid the brokerage fee. Here is how:

A courier need your permission to represent you as a broker. The authority for this is found in D1-6-1 http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...d1-6-1-eng.pdf

"4. Any person who proposes to transact business with CBSA as the agent of another person is responsible for ensuring that the proper authority has been granted. The written authority is often referred to as an agency agreement or a power of attorney."

This means of course you always have the right to clear your goods yourself or using any broker you want. Generally couriers get permission to act as your broker when you sign for the goods, in fact the LVS (low value shipment) regulations specifically allow for them to do this, however they also give you the right to decline to use them.

Now I should mention the information I am referencing for this post is only LVS courier casual goods. That means the goods have to be valued at under $1600 Canadian and not be controlled, prohibited or regulated by an act of Parliament. To qualify as Casual the goods have to be for the personal use of an individual and not be commercial goods.

We find the regulations for LVS courier goods in D 17-4-0

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...17-4-0-eng.pdf

"1. The Courier Low Value Shipment (LVS) Program streamlines the reporting, release and accounting procedures for certain goods imported by courier. Couriers authorized by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to participate in the program may have qualifying goods released by presenting a cargo/release list to the CBSA. To qualify under this program the goods must:
(a) be valued at less than CAN$1,600; and
(b) not be controlled, prohibited or regulated by an Act of Parliament"

So what does LVS mean?

from D17-4-0 again

"11. The cargo/release list for authorized participants of the Courier LVS Program is to be used in place of individual cargo control and release documents for goods valued under CAN$1,600. The list must be presented to the CBSA by the courier before or as soon as the shipments arrive in Canada. It must contain a concise description of the LVS qualifying goods so that the border services officer can determine the admissibility of the goods."

So the courier gives customs information on the goods they are bringing in to Canada.

Next if the goods are not being released at the office they enter Canada at they can move inbond to the office of release. This is important to note because UPS will often argue that the goods have to be released at the office of arrival but this is not true and we know it is not true because the LVS regulations tell us so.

Again from D-17-4-0

"16. When Courier LVS goods arrive in Canada at an office other than the office of release, the in-bond movement of the shipments to the office of release is permitted, provided that the entire container or load is moved inland."

So the courier following these regulations moves your LVS parcel in bond eventually to a distribution centre near the importer. At this point the goods have not been accounted for, that is no duties and taxes have been paid yet, and the courier can not release them to the importer until they have.

So now the goods are in the UPS warehouse near your house and they bring them to your door. Lets see what the D 17-4-0 says about what happens next.

"Release and Accounting
54. Once the CBSA releases the casual goods, the courier delivers the shipment to the importer. The duties and taxes owing are paid by the importer to the courier. Afterwards, the courier or its agent accounts for the goods on an F type entry which is presented to the CBSA before the 24th day of the next month, with the duties and taxes payable by the end of that month."

Ah so you pay the courier your duties and taxes (and brokerage fee), receive your goods and then the courier goes ahead and acts as your broker and pays the duties and taxes with an F type entry the next month.

So what happens if you decide you don't want to pay the duties and taxes and brokerage fee to the courier? Surely the regulations state that the goods have to go back to the office of arrival right? and you have to pay the duties and taxes at that office right?That's what UPS told my friend. Wrong.

D 17-4-0

"56. If an importer wishes to account for the goods himself or herself, the courier does not release the shipment to the importer but holds the goods until the importer presents satisfactory proof that the appropriate duties and taxes have been paid directly to the CBSA. The importer must note the unique shipment identifier number and contact the courier to determine where the goods are held in a bonded warehouse until the release is effected."

So the courier hangs on to the goods which are still in-bond at their warehouse. The courier must provide the importer with information as to where the goods are, what the unique shipment identifier number is (they would have provided this to customs earlier as part of the cargo/release list noted in section 11). Now you the importer can take that information along with a bill or invoice from the shipper to your nearest customs office and get a B15 done for free. Customs will do all the work. Take that back to UPS and then as noted in section 56 of D17-4-0 they must release the goods to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now simply put if a courier, say UPS, arrives at your door and you refuse to pay the duties and taxes, you want to do this:

Ask them where the goods are going now, which will be the nearby warehouse. (they may threaten to take them back to the border warehouse but this does not make sense from a economical sense on their part, is not supported by the LVS regulations and even if they do you can still clear your goods at the office closest to you)

Next ask for the unique shipment identifier number.

Print out a copy of the invoice from the shipper (most online shippers email this to you if not request a copy after you place your order)

Take these three pieces of information with you to your nearest CBSA office and ask for a B15.

Return to UPS with your B15, which will show you paid your duties and taxes and receive your goods.

If they give you any kind of hassle print out a copy of D 17-4-0 to support your right to clear the goods yourself and show that the goods do not have to be accounted for at the border entry office.

Armed with this information my friend was able to get a number from UPS that he brought to customs and was able to get UPS to accept a B15 and release his goods.

Hope folks that are forced to use a courier find this useful. Knowledge is power. By the way all the customs regulations can be found on the CBSA website at D memoranda
Old June 8, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've never had a store not take my CC. And you can use Paypal but choose to use your CC's exchange rate so no extra 2%.

I still try to buy everything from Canada, although there is a lot of gear made by smaller companies that just are not available anywhere north of the border.
Didn't know that about paypal - good to know, been a while since I used them, US bank account FTW

Depends on where you buy I guess. I have had a lot of stores refuse me, mostly vehicle parts and sporting goods stores, especially when you are a first time customer and they cannot verify your address/info with the credit card company, they will deny you. This is normally with "smaller" shops rather than big chains like Amazon who have larger global merchant accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I have only been charged by USPS once Fixt. There have been dozens of times I wasnt charged a single penny more then I already paid.
Maybe you just didn't notice it? USPS hands off to Canada Post who automatically charges you the fixed $5.00 handling fee for any cross border parcel. Unless it is marked under $20 in which case it clears without that and without taxes & duty as well.
Old June 8, 2010, 12:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

From my experience, Canada Post doesn't bother to collect the taxes on parcels that show under $50 value on the paperwork. Whether that's official policy or just my local PO, I can't tell you. The $5 is a paperwork fee for collecting the taxes, and is not duty-related.

I'll never use a courier to import any parts again.
Old June 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

I ordered 2 syringes of Coollaboratory liquid pro from Frozen CPU and it cost me 15 bucks to ship, and I had the items in 2 weeks. I didn't get hit with any tarrifs, taxes or brokerage fees.

Last edited by C130AVN; June 8, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 8, 2010, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

but CC charges extra 2.5% for foreign currency depending on the bank right? check your account policy... mine is....
Old June 8, 2010, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
From my experience, Canada Post doesn't bother to collect the taxes on parcels that show under $50 value on the paperwork. Whether that's official policy or just my local PO, I can't tell you. The $5 is a paperwork fee for collecting the taxes, and is not duty-related.

I'll never use a courier to import any parts again.
Actually the $5 fee is indeed duty related as well as tax. The fee is for collecting duties and taxes. Although most items if made in North America have no duty. The $5 fee is actually spelled out in the Customs regulations whereas the couriers are free to charge what they want for this service.

D5-1-1 http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...d5-1-1-eng.pdf

"Handling Fee
42. When goods are imported by mail, Canada Post is authorized to charge the recipient a $5 handling fee for collecting and remitting duties and taxes that are owed to the government. Canada Post charges an $8 fee for items mailed by priority post. If the mail item is duty- and tax-free, there is no fee to pay."

Of course the flip side of that is with the postal mail you have to pay the fee if they are collecting duties and taxes whereas with the couriers you always have the option of paying the duties and taxes directly to the CBSA yourself and avoiding the brokerage fee. (not always practical though depending on where you live.)
Old June 9, 2010, 04:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm all about buying "local" (CDN) I used to deal on ebay 10+ years ago buying and selling to the states, and learned the 'hard way'. Most people found the loopholes, but I have a better one.
I'm a good NCIX customer, have lots of points for free/$5.99 shipping. If they don't have it (watercooling) dazmode most likely will, or can deal with him on a personal level to bring something in - takes about the same time as buying from the states. Orders over $200 is free shipping.. and i'm always buying more than $200, lol.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

So is that $5 that USPS attatched to the S/H price on the checkout part of websites? When CanadaPost comes to my door, the guy never asked for money - and I sure ordered more then $50 worth of stuff, multiple times.