Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2010, 08:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Some minor loop upgrades - thoughts?

It's been over six months now since I set up the loop in my main machine, and I'm thinking that this summer it's time for a bit of maintenance, maybe a bit of a rework/upgrade. Sometime within the next couple months I'm gonna drain the loop, remount my heatkiller (I've been noticing two of my cores get hotter than the others - I should get some calipers so I can make sure I tighten it down properly), and make some additions/alterations I think.

The change I am planning to make is just to increase flow of everything in general (both airflow and waterflow). Right now, with a modest overclock on my 920 (160x20+turbo), I idle at around 40, and top out before I hit 60 (same temp range for my GTX275 too).

I've got 3 1700RPM Panaflos exhausting over the radiator right now, but I'm thinking of changing that. The Panaflos I bought are a bit inconsistent in their build quality though, unfortunately. One of them I think is slightly misaligned or slightly unbalanced or something as it makes a kind of wobbling noise when it's spinning. I think I'm going to pick up 6 1450RPM gentle typhoons and switch to a push/pull setup on the radiator. I think that would wind up being a bit more effective, and quieter even than the panaflos.

I think also that the full-coverage Classified block might be hindering the flow in my loop a bit too, and I was thinking about adding another pump. I am considering swapping out my EK 150 res with an EK-DDC combo res for a little extra oomph, but I'm not exactly sure whether another pump is worth the investment. Would it be effective to have a 350 and a 655 in series like that? I'd be more inclined to go with the 350 than the 355 because of the lower noise, plus the fact that Canadian stores only seem to carry the 350 these days...

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions on my planned upgrades before I go ahead and start ordering parts. Gentle typhoon push/pull on the TFC360? MCP350+MCP655 = win?

This is definitely the best hobby btw

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old June 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have never tried DDC and D5 together... You may consider two 655 with EK dual top? Having said that 655 should be enough for your loop as is.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 4, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My own panaflo's are all excellent, but I've heard a few reports of newer ones having QC issues. If the wobbling is actually making noise/ticking, I'd suggest replacing them. Still, 6 GT's is a little pricy.

I wouldn't suggest adding a 350 in with a 655, as they have noticably different P/Q curves, to the point where you might actually run into issues. Not to mention that the benefit will be quite negligible, as I don't believe any of your components are particularly restrictive. If you have the speed-adjustable version of the 655, I'd suggest doing some temperature runs. Do a half-hour burn, pump at full, and record your temps. Then reduce the speed to 4, and repeat. Get temperatures for all five speeds and compare them. If there isn't much temperature improvement at higher speeds, adding another pump is going to make even less difference.
Old June 4, 2010, 05:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am not sure that a 350 would even make a difference. Here's a link to a guy who did some flow testing with 1 D5 vs 2 D5 with an EK Dual top. You can see that adding a second pump makes a lot less difference than just turning up the volts.

I checked out your build log (very nice BTW) and I see that you are running everything into a single 3x120 rad. With CPU and GPU, I would consider going dual loop. There are lots of 800d build logs where guys have added a 2x120 where the bottom hard drive rack is, or placed one externally.

Also check out this article on shrouds and fan orientation Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review

For my upcomming 700d/800d build I have been trying to figure out a neat way of mounting an EK dualtop to go dual loops with a 3x120 up top and a 2x120 on bottom.
Old June 4, 2010, 07:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah, I was a bit wary about adding another pump in the first place, this confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I am not sure that a 350 would even make a difference. Here's a link to a guy who did some flow testing with 1 D5 vs 2 D5 with an EK Dual top. You can see that adding a second pump makes a lot less difference than just turning up the volts.

I checked out your build log (very nice BTW) and I see that you are running everything into a single 3x120 rad. With CPU and GPU, I would consider going dual loop. There are lots of 800d build logs where guys have added a 2x120 where the bottom hard drive rack is, or placed one externally.

Also check out this article on shrouds and fan orientation Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review

For my upcomming 700d/800d build I have been trying to figure out a neat way of mounting an EK dualtop to go dual loops with a 3x120 up top and a 2x120 on bottom.
Well, a stock i7 920 has a TDP of about 130. My meager overclock will likely push that up a bit for the sake of concreteness, let's say about 180. The GTX275 won't put out more than like 230W of heat, and the NB/MOSFETs are much less than either. So we're looking at probably around 500W, which I think should be covered pretty well by the Feser rad with 6 mid-speed fans. I think I'll wait to add a second loop until I'm running a bit heftier a GPU.

I've got a decent bit of money to play around with this summer, so I think I'm going to tinker more with my fan config now than I will with my loop itself. Thanks guys

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old June 4, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Interesting, I was just thinking about adding srouds to my 800D build.
HTPC Build: Final Video