Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
mpg is very correct on water set epoxy make sure it's rated for that jb weld is. and it's very cheap and a good epoxy will last years +
So I am probably better to wait for tomorrow and go to my Canadian tire to buy some epoxi that is water certified ( probably in the boat alley ). Maybe I will get some paint at the same time to do a little job on the rad. That could be a good idea.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect

PAY THE EXTRA MONEY ADN GET IT BRAISED PROPERLY OR UR GONNA F IT UP.
Old May 26, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok. fixing a rad is real easy. if you can braze it your self then do it but 'F'ing it up because your using epoxy ok
Old May 26, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer View Post
PAY THE EXTRA MONEY ADN GET IT BRAISED PROPERLY OR UR GONNA F IT UP.
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
ok. fixing a rad is real easy. if you can braze it your self then do it but 'F'ing it up because your using epoxy ok
What again??? sorry I'm lost now???

I could braze it for sure that's not the problem. The place where is the hole is the problem. Here a paint edited picture of it. And seriously Gomer, I haev been here for a pretty long time so I know the name of trustable people like Gingerbee but I never heard about you before??? I am not saying that you are not a good guy but if they say it's ok then it is probably true.
Attached Images

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 26, 2010, 04:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Just double-check the packaging. The warning is usually "Not for submersion" or "Not for sustained exposure to water", or something like that, if it's an issue.
Well, if the epoxy is being used to seal a hole in a rad with water constantly running through it, then part of it is going to be submerged, don't you think?
Old May 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry martin metal his statement made no sense to me. and what i meant is that if you can go out to your garage adn braze it with copper then go nuts but the epoxy is not going to affect it's cooling at all hence why this makes no sense to me "braze it or it will die". just get some good epoxy like a jb weld there are many out there that will work i like it cause it's so over kill for it's strength.

edit ( you do have to watch if your going to be getting into subzero chillers running denatured alcohol then worry but your not, jb weld can brake up when using stuff of this sorts) sorry about the side-note i am getting into chilers.

if you really want to be sure there one for underwater J-B Weld Company - Products Overview

Last edited by gingerbee; May 26, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

novice repair: jb weld clean hole an mix and apply wait to cure.......but not perminate IMHO

experinced repair: solder a blob solder, clean hole apply flux preheat hole then tin with solder then blob (note if use torch excessive heat! will have more then 1 hole) let cool on own then pressure test max 4 lbs best repair with 80watt iron
Old May 26, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
novice repair: jb weld clean hole an mix and apply wait to cure.......but not perminate IMHO

experinced repair: solder a blob solder, clean hole apply flux preheat hole then tin with solder then blob (note if use torch excessive heat! will have more then 1 hole) let cool on own then pressure test max 4 lbs best repair with 80watt iron
experienced repair would be my favorite but actually I don't have anything that is not TO HOT for this kind of metal. I have a DC torch ( will cut the rad in 2 ), a propane torch ( way to hot the fin will melt ) and a standard electric solder ( can't get him where the hole is because it's under the screw hole ) so epoxy is probably my only option.

Martin_metal_88

Old May 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, if the epoxy is being used to seal a hole in a rad with water constantly running through it, then part of it is going to be submerged, don't you think?
That's my point - quick-set epoxy usually has those warnings, the longer-setting stuff doesn't. So best to use the latter.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
That's my point - quick-set epoxy usually has those warnings, the longer-setting stuff doesn't. So best to use the latter.
Anyone that would use fast fix epoxy on water would be kind of an idiot XD or not a pretty good handyman:P but well...you guys know like me that there is idiot people everywhere. last week or so I had a computer at work using old Dominator memory with the long ( but not removable ) heat spreader. To fit under his CM GeminII he cut the ram heatsink with cutter. It was so ghetto mod XD but the ram was defective and corsair deny the RMA...to bad:)

Martin_metal_88