Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2007, 10:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default TEC Cooling

I'm putting some real thought into running a TEC system rather then my standard waterblock cooling. Already thought about the extra power required. my issue is I don't want to buy TEC blocks for my cpu and gpu. So i'm looking to see if I can buy the copper plate to sandwich the peltier between the waterblock and cpu. I can find the peltier just about anywhere... it's the copper plate thats a mystery to me. the insolation I can simply go with some crappy tire RV seal cocking... or something similar.

If theres a big reason not to do this PLEASE tell me.. other then that, I just want to know where I could find the copper plate.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post
I'm putting some real thought into running a TEC system rather then my standard waterblock cooling. Already thought about the extra power required. my issue is I don't want to buy TEC blocks for my cpu and gpu. So i'm looking to see if I can buy the copper plate to sandwich the peltier between the waterblock and cpu. I can find the peltier just about anywhere... it's the copper plate thats a mystery to me. the insolation I can simply go with some crappy tire RV seal cocking... or something similar.

If theres a big reason not to do this PLEASE tell me.. other then that, I just want to know where I could find the copper plate.
50x50mm Copper Cold Plate - FrozenCPU.com

I think that will be big enough for your TEC - they ship to Canada too!
Old November 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

MY HERO.
Thanks
Old November 9, 2007, 11:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok, I got more curious questions...
I just want to know if this will work... and work well. if you see problems please say so.

I want to get an Opty 185. I have Dangerden water blocks. TDX and a MAZE 5 for my gpu. I want to get the cold plates and an 80W peltier for my gpu, and a 245W peltier for the cpu. I am thinking about buying the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU for the system. I already have an Ultra 500W X-connect PSU. Now I am capable of rigging that 500W to run just the cooling parts of the system. Fan controller(plus its fans), likely the pump(Dangerden Mag2), The peltiers, and I have some LED lights setup.

I under stand there are better components for my application. but this should work and be cheaper. If you see a problem, Please tell
Old November 9, 2007, 12:07 PM
Allstar

I think you have to have one dedicated PSU per peltier, we better let the TEC experts on this one though.
Old November 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Meanwell 320W Power Supply for Peltier & Tec Applications - MEANWELL In Canada.

This is what you want to power your tecs and stuff. I personally would not waste the effort to just use a crappy PSU to power it.
Old November 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Crappy? thats kinda harsh. I won't say that, ever....

buying other PSU for this job is just more money. and in the end my computer will be having power cords all over the place.

I agree, gotta talk to a TEC expert.
Old November 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
NCIX.com - Buy Meanwell 320W Power Supply for Peltier & Tec Applications - MEANWELL In Canada.

This is what you want to power your tecs and stuff. I personally would not waste the effort to just use a crappy PSU to power it.
It's not crappy, it just requires a lot of work, and you kind of risk your life when taking apart a power supply if you don't know what you're doing. I don't know if anyone on this site has experience with TECs, but on XS, there are several FAQs on what to do.

Good luck.
Old November 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
Misoprostol

Any TEC expert will tell you it's not worth it to use TEC cooling anymore. With the kind of heat output of modern processors, it's just not practical these days to try to cool them with TEC.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I don;t do ANYTHING to the PSU... All i have to do is make up an adapter or a circuit that will send the power to the Peltiers.

These days MAYBE... however I'm using tech from 2005.