Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 12:31 AM
Top Prospect

Default something to look at

hey guys, so this is my first build and my first water cooling build as well and im trying to do it right. been researching and asking alot of noob questions for about 4 or 5 months, just about ready to order all my water cooling gear and the my gpu's the last of my hardware. i threw together a mok up of my proposed loops and gear. lemme know what you guys think.

and hes my specs.

800d case
i7 920 d0
x58 classified
6gb dominator 8-8-8 24
2x gtx 480 (not purchased yet)
antec 1200 quattro

water cooling gear: (not purchased yet) keep in mind im going for silent and as cold as possible while keeping everything internal.

loop1: gpu loop

xspc dual bay split dual pump resivour
mcp 355 pump (compatible with res)
2x ek 480 fullcoverage wb's
480 fesser rad

res - pump - 480 rad - ek 480 wb - ek 480 wb - res

loop2: cpu loop

same resivour
seperate 355 pump
heatkiller 3.0
ek x58 classified full coverage
fesser 360 rad

res - pump - 360 rad - heatkiller 3.0 - ek x58 wb - res

fesser distilled water and fesser uv red tubing 1/2 in by 3/4 outer and barbed fitting with some 45degree compressions for the tight spots.

heres the mok up:

Old May 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

What can I say. Nice build with top parts everywhere...

One thing I question although, you plan to put radiator on removable side panel... I think it will be really awkward in real life to use with tubing needs to be long enough to allow to open case when you need to.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 11, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

haha! Love the schematic! Nice build- I would say the siz intake fans are WAY overkill though- there is value in silence, and these will steal that away for little benefit.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
haha! Love the schematic! Nice build- I would say the siz intake fans are WAY overkill though- there is value in silence, and these will steal that away for little benefit.
+1

Even if they're slow fans, the sheer number will still make some noise, and considering that everything's on water, the increased airflow will contribute very little to cooling critical components. Since both radiator are exhausting (which is as it should be), you'll need intake fans to counteract them, but since the exhaust is being restricted, you probably don't need quite as many intakes as exhausts.

As Daz pointed out, mounting a rad on a case panel is more of a pain than you'd expect. You usually wind up with a whole bunch of excess tubing that you have to ram into the case when closed, or not enough tubing to move the panel away from the case itself when you want to get inside. At the very least, I'd invest in some quick disconnects, so you have the option of completely detaching it.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Rookie

Very nice
Old May 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
One thing I question although, you plan to put radiator on removable side panel... I think it will be really awkward in real life to use with tubing needs to be long enough to allow to open case when you need to.
It can be done...lol...of course that was a HAF 932.
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2010, 04:43 PM
Top Prospect

i wont be mounting the rad on the side panel dont worry i thought this through abit im makeing a brace.

im gonna run to flat bars vertically 360mm apart through the case acouple of mm away from the side panel and then im gonna make a 9x 120mm mounting plate 360x360.

then ill be adding some weatherstripping around the 360x360 mesh on the side panel to seal snug around the 9x fans.

anyways its all being mounted on that so the side panel can be removed with ease

ill be doing a worklog so you guys can see what im talking about in detail but thats probly a month or so away.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

That was great build!
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

and as for the fans, im dont exactly sure what im makes im getting yet. ill probably go with r4's and gentle typhoons for the rads.

all of the fans in this case r gonna be set really low. so im hoping there will be little to no noise.

i know the intakes are pretty overkill but its kinda completes the look and i read that a possitive pressure case is better for cooling anyways? idono if thats true i just want to make sure my rads arnt gonna be fighting for cool air.