Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default xspc dual bay dual ddc pump resivour

XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs w/ Blue LED Light - Clear (DDCBAYTWO) - FrozenCPU.com

this resivour is suposed to work pretty well it dampens any noise from the pumps and cleans up and simplifys your loops. only thing im worried about is its pump compatibility. its says mcp 350/355 and laing ddc pumps only i was just wondering how these pumps perform compared to the swiftech mcp655 w speed control wich i was originally planning on buying. i want to run 2 loops.

loop 1:
cooling cpu and motherboard
res - to - pump - to - ek x58 classidied full covage - to - 360 feser rad - to - heatkiller 3.0 - to -res.

loop2:
cooling 2x gtx 480's
res - to - pump - to - ek 480 wb - to - ek 480 wb - to - 480 feser rad - to - res

would i be better off going with 2x mcp 655 or could i get similar performace with the res / 355 combo?
thanks
Old May 8, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

In very restrictive loops, the 355 has a slight edge over the 655, in free-flowing loops, the 655 wins out. But the difference between the two is going to be extremely small either way. All else equal, the bay reservoir with the 355's will require less space, and the pumps will dump a little less heat into the loop. The only disadvantage is that you won't have the speed control.
Old May 8, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would personally get two MCP355 with aftermarket tops. I would only ever use a bay resivoir if I absolutley needed the space, but Im not going to be using a case to watercool that would need for me to use one Bay resivoirs are asking for trouble. Its a ticking timebomb waiting for the glue (most acrylic bay res' have glue) to weaken and leak.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:11 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Couldn't be happier, especially with the tubing and space management.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-ultimate.html
Old May 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have the original model, dual pumps but no divider. It's worked great thus far and expect it to last for many years to come.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Top Prospect

my loops are all internal in a 800d case so there gonna be really tight. i just need to know if the 355 pumps will have enough volume and pressure output to power my loops. cuz if i can use them instead of two seperate 655 pumps itll make this build alot easier.
Old May 9, 2010, 07:47 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Your loops are quite similar to mine, two 355 will be more than enough to loop those components.
However I do recommend putting CPU block before the MB block (coolest water to CPU first) and perhaps using 480 rad for CPU loop and 360 for the GPU loop.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

thats how i was intially going to set it up but the routing would be easier to put the cpu into the 360 rad instead of the 480. and i figured the amount of heat that 2x 480 are going to produce would need more than a 360 rad. im trying to keep everything around 30-40c range. ill be running a i7 920 d0 at round 4ghz oc for my cpu. im new to watercooling so correct me if im wrong.

also the way i got the cpu loop set up: res - pump -mb - rad - cpu - res

the coldest water in that loop would be fresh out of the rad going to the cpu so i think it will work fine the only thing that might effect performance is the hot water coming from the cpu to the res might warm up the colder water on the otherside of the shared res in the gpu loop. thats my only concern

i dont have alot of room so im trying to keep my loops as compact and efficent as possible.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:55 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I thought too. But after I asked around, since both rads provide more than enough cooling for any loop it'd be wiser to put 480 with CPU. Apparently 480 Rad along can provide enough cooling for CPU, MB and 2 GPUs altogether.
This is what I have right now.

CPU loop (480 Rad)
Res - Pump - Rad - CPU - MB - Back to res
GPU loop (360 Rad)
Res - Pump - Rad - 5850#1 - 5850 #2 - Back to res

But you know, there isn't really rules written in stone for watercooling setup. You just want to keep the loop as short as possible.
Again 2 355 pumps are sufficient enough for your loops. Some would say it would be an overkill.
Old May 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
Top Prospect

alright thanks for the advice guys