Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   New to Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/31573-new-water-cooling.html)

fishingfanatic April 30, 2010 04:09 PM

New to Water Cooling

Hi folks. I haven't decided when to do it yet, but since purchasing a pair of 5970s it seems that it may be time to consider it. I'm a tradesman so putting it together so be easy enough. What I'd like to know is what I should be cooling. Should cooling the cards be enough, as everything else ran in the mid 30s under air. Should I use 2 separate systems, or maybe 1 pump and reservoir? I don't mind spending a bit more for an upper end system. My current system is about to go to core i7, the case is a Cooler Master Cosmos S 1000. My psu is a Corsair 1000 HX. With 2 5970s,4 HDDs, should I consider another psu of some sort for the water cooling unit(s)?

I would think the system would have to be external. I've seen some pretty cool looking systems but have no idea on them. Please help a beginner,

Thanks.:canadianwave:

AmuseMe April 30, 2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfanatic (Post 371001)
Hi folks. I haven't decided when to do it yet, but since purchasing a pair of 5970s it seems that it may be time to consider it. I'm a tradesman so putting it together so be easy enough. What I'd like to know is what I should be cooling. Should cooling the cards be enough, as everything else ran in the mid 30s under air. Should I use 2 separate systems, or maybe 1 pump and reservoir? I don't mind spending a bit more for an upper end system. My current system is about to go to core i7, the case is a Cooler Master Cosmos S 1000. My psu is a Corsair 1000 HX. With 2 5970s,4 HDDs, should I consider another psu of some sort for the water cooling unit(s)?

I would think the system would have to be external. I've seen some pretty cool looking systems but have no idea on them. Please help a beginner,

Thanks.:canadianwave:

1000W is enough power for almost anything, even four 480s (Thats what EVGA used on there SR2 and quad 480s for the world record 3D Mark... I think)

Well two 5970's should be fine on a good tripple rad; make sure you have good fans though. I myself would use a quad, but thats just me :thumb: I would recomend a Hardware Labs SR1-360, a Feser 360, or a PrimoChill PA120.3 - PrimoChill is not RoHS, which means there might be some lead/ toxins in it. I also think a tripple can fit inside the Cosmos.

Since it is only going to be the video cards, I would say a single loop of one pump, one resivoir will be enough. For somethng like that, get an MCP350/ 355, or a MCP655, either way, get an aftermarket top (Really, you don't need one [an aftermarket top], but they are nice).

For a resivoir, anythin really works. A FrozenQ one for style, a basic EK Multioption, or even an XSPC pumptop resivoir for a MCP350/ 355.

For GPU Blocks, I would get the EK Nickel + Plexi/ Acteal, or whatever your style is.

SugarJ April 30, 2010 08:29 PM

If the case is a Cosmos S, a triple rad will fit up top internally. I've done it, and had room for a double in the drive bays. I'm not sure about the 1000 (they are different).

As AmuseMe said, a pump doesn't draw that much power. Your PSU is fine.

This shot is with a double up top, before I put a triple in.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...a349156276.jpg

Dazmode April 30, 2010 08:50 PM

No need for new PSU - fans and pump are not power hogs.

As "what to cool?" question. There is no universal answer or rule here. You can watecool as much or as little you like. The reasoning is different for every person as well as project outcome. Some people want looks, other tired of nose, some want performance and etc....

fishingfanatic April 30, 2010 09:36 PM

New to Water Cooling

Thanks for the help. What do you recommend for a pump/rad combo. Edit: I guess I got another response regarding pump/rad combo as I was writing this. Thanks again guys.