Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First time watercooling

I will get every parts from DazMode

I need suggestions for parts

My rig is i7 860 on Asus p7p55d-e pro, and I just need a single loop for CPU... want to OC this beast (although the 4x2gb ram is holding it down)

It will be installed in CM HAF932 as well.

I like the bay reservoir but Daz was against it in his online store? any comments on this? If not, i will just get the EK 150

I will get the TFC 360 rad of cz and some gelid silent fans...

For pump, i m not sure if i should get the speed adjustable 655 or just the single speed? Is it only the noise? I dont mind the noise since i shut down my computer every night ever since i got SSD
I will also be getting a top but i dont know which top is good?

I also want to get the 1/2" ID tubing for optimum performance...

compressions and fittings are a must for me... lol

Now, the question is:
Which CPU block should i get?
655 speed adjustable or not?
is EK 150 good enough for HAF932?
which top should i use for my pump?
how should i do the loop? rad -> cpu -> pump -> res -> rad? I will be using ALL the holes in the res (top for filling, bottom for emptying, inner/outlet will be at the sides)

Thanks guys!!!
Old April 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Gelid Silent fans are not good for radiators. The static pressure on them sucks. As for the pump get the variable. The non-variable one is at like setting 3. The EK X-TOP is the on to get for the MCP-655.

Now, the question is:
Heakiller 3.0, or EK upreme HF
Adjustable
150 is fine and should fit fine. A 250 might be too big.
EK X-TOP Rev. 2
Res>Pump>Rad>Block>repeat - though, it doesn't really matter and you can go with whatever looks best.
Old April 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

The EK bay reservoir is very good, for the pump I prefer my swiftech 655b ( no speed adjustment ) this model come with a very convenient header for plug on the motherboard, so you can make the computer shut down if the pump stop. The variable 655-01 don’t have this extra wire
Old April 21, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bay reservoirs a bit harder to bleed, I didn't mean I against it. With triple radiator on single cpu loop you can use any cheapest or most expensive fans you want. It will be overkill either way. :)

Reservoir must feed pump, not any other way.
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; April 21, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default re

My only suggestion:

Use great or above thermal paste.
Make sure you have optimal thermal transfer between CPU and thermal block.
Squeeze it hard! (not too much!)
;)

Intel CPU run hot overclocked. Around 60 or more. (Maybe I'm way off the track here)
My 965 (AMD, I am evil!!!) get at 41 deg at 4ghz on charge. Using liquid pro thermal paste (actually it is more a liquid...) with the EK supreme HF (buy recently).

Quote:
I also want to get the 1/2" ID tubing for optimum performance...
READ:
The impact of tubing sizes - XtremeSystems Forums

Let's say you want a bad-ass look...
;) (read first)
Old April 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Gelid Silent fans are not good for radiators. The static pressure on them sucks. As for the pump get the variable. The non-variable one is at like setting 3. The EK X-TOP is the on to get for the MCP-655.

Now, the question is:
Heakiller 3.0, or EK upreme HF
Adjustable
150 is fine and should fit fine. A 250 might be too big.
EK X-TOP Rev. 2
Res>Pump>Rad>Block>repeat - though, it doesn't really matter and you can go with whatever looks best.
Ummm i m sorry, there are so many types of EK Supreme HF in DM... are there any differences?
Going by the below comment, i guess i wont be getting the speed adjustable.. but ok i will get the EK x-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The EK bay reservoir is very good, for the pump I prefer my swiftech 655b ( no speed adjustment ) this model come with a very convenient header for plug on the motherboard, so you can make the computer shut down if the pump stop. The variable 655-01 don’t have this extra wire
ok kewl thanks for the info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Bay reservoirs a bit harder to bleed, I didn't mean I against it. With triple radiator on single cpu loop you can use any cheapest or most expensive fans you want. It will be overkill either way. :)

Reservoir must feed pump, not any other way.
harder to bleed... hummm just looked at other forums and others have complained about the bleeding too.. thanks..

but for future upgrades, triple is good right? or should i get double?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavvens View Post
My only suggestion:

Use great or above thermal paste.
Make sure you have optimal thermal transfer between CPU and thermal block.
Squeeze it hard! (not too much!)
;)

Intel CPU run hot overclocked. Around 60 or more. (Maybe I'm way off the track here)
My 965 (AMD, I am evil!!!) get at 41 deg at 4ghz on charge. Using liquid pro thermal paste (actually it is more a liquid...) with the EK supreme HF (buy recently).

READ:
The impact of tubing sizes - XtremeSystems Forums

Let's say you want a bad-ass look...
;) (read first)
lol nice temps.. i m getting like 90s in my OC setting with CM hyper212+ and i will be using mx-3 as thermal paste though.... and thanks for the tubing size info... i guess i could get the 3/8"
Old April 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Keep the tripple rad. Overkill = awesomeness. I took an apogee drive CPU Block/ pump and modded it to an MCP355 (12V). It looks identicle to a Laing 3.2 but had a CPU header pump failure = PC shutdown.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well.. Most Intel motherboards have fail safe features nowadays, and you can always set a max temp in the BIOS so the system will shut down if the cpu temp go any higher than that. So with that, I would get the variable one if I were you.

Like AmuseMe said Overkill=awesomeness .. crazy guy!!.. but it's true :p.. So if you decide to cool your chipset/gpu later on, the variable helps, better water flow = better, and possible lower temps too.

You want 1/2", and I suggest 1/2", because of the MCP 655 pump, other tubing can be a PITA to get on the barbs.

I too suggest the EK 150, 250 can become too large.

CPU Block, if you can afford a Heat Killer and Daz has it in stock, go for it, remember to get the back plate too, so that's affording a HK block+back plate = definitely very good. If you're on limited budget, then the Supreme HF- Acetel version gets my pick.. EK-Supreme HF - Acetal-Nickel - Universal CPU Water Block EK-Supreme HF - Acetal-Nickel [EK-Supreme HF - Acetal-Nickel] - $79.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

You can go for plexi too, I just like the look of the acetel better, plexi = risky (sometimes), you get end up cracking it too. As for an extra TOP EK X-Top FTW!!.. But I wouldn't get it now if I were you, for a cpu only loop, you would be wasting money as it wouldn't really help all that much, except for improving a little flow, and the use of other barb sizes, the extra flow I doubt would help in reducing cpu temps all that much.

The Pump on speed 5 might have some noise, but if you're PC is far from you, the fan noise will probably be more than the pumps, I'm so used to it, that I can only hear the water flow noise if I take my ears near the pump..

You and your compression fitting friends can burrnnnn.. Lol just joking, there are too many friends that would hurt me!!.. :D
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh and please don't mind my grammar, I'm too lazy to edit :p
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old May 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

***update***

Someone here in HWC wants to trade his watercooling gear for my eVGA 780i + cash... he just sent me his swiftech 320, 655 speed-controllable, swiftech res (v1, no hole at the bottom), swiftech apogee gt, DD CPX-1. I wont be using the cpu block, but i want to test the rad,res, and 655 first.. is it ok if i just loop them and see if there's any leak or something? Do i really need to get a tubing or garden hose would be fine? Does canadian tire sells 1/2" ID garden hose?

Thanks guys