Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default REVIEW: Fans speed influence on watercooling loop performance

I have finally managed to find time and put together a water cooling system I have bought ... err... last year.

As everybody are testing on Core i7 with Core i5 seem being completely neglected, I have decided to build i5 rig for testing. Don't say I'm cheap!

Here is first review to look into fans selection in terms of cooling performance vs. speed (= noise).

Grammar corrections are gladly accepted.

Water cooling Review. Fans speed influence on cooling performance
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; April 22, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

Great stuff. I assume those are load temps for the i5 and some label for x,y axis would be great.

good job!
Old April 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Daz! Looks like I am going to have to break down a get San Ace fans to try them out.
Old April 21, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Thanks Daz! Looks like I am going to have to break down a get San Ace fans to try them out.
If you got some old Seasonics lying around, or some old stock cpu HSFs, they both come with Sanyo Denki fans, and are quite often San Ace's.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm no expert, but wouldn't this vary depending on the radiator used? The Feser has about middle ground FPI right? And it's of the double-pass variant or whatever you want to call it.

So I can see why really low speed fans didn't really work. I'm guessing nearly no air was coming through the radiator. But if tested on a thin Swiftech radiator or a thick radiator with lower FPI, maybe 450RPM would of worked.

And if you used something like the HWLabs GTX, then you'd probably have an even higher minimum RPM.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'm no expert, but wouldn't this vary depending on the radiator used? The Feser has about middle ground FPI right? And it's of the double-pass variant or whatever you want to call it.

So I can see why really low speed fans didn't really work. I'm guessing nearly no air was coming through the radiator. But if tested on a thin Swiftech radiator or a thick radiator with lower FPI, maybe 450RPM would of worked.

And if you used something like the HWLabs GTX, then you'd probably have an even higher minimum RPM.
The Feser's have a pretty low FPI, right down there with the TC and XSPC units, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue. But considering that even low-FPI rads offer quite a bit of restriction, and that fan static pressure increases exponentially with rpm, it's quite likely that below a certain rpm, the fan-rad combo just choked.

Interesting little review - does a good job of demonstrating that all the "Can this rad handle X load?" threads are only addressing half the equation.

And while not a crucial detail as long as it's consistent for all tests, it wouldn't have hurt to mention what you were using to load the CPU with.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

I want me some Aces sooo bad.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
And while not a crucial detail as long as it's consistent for all tests, it wouldn't have hurt to mention what you were using to load the CPU with.
I though it would come out right from my list of parts used, but seems everybody get unclear in this.

• CPU Stress Program: OCCT 3.1.0 -- load generation - small set
  • Core Temp 0.99.5.27 -- record core temps
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 21, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oops, overlooked that. I think the text was a little dim against the black background on my monitor.
Old April 21, 2010, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default re

Nice, more infos on the domain the better!

Could be interesting to know the CFM produced at each specific fan speed.

On this review, some radiator perform better than other on low or High RPM:

Triple radiators roundup - XtremeSystems Forums

It was from 2008, but not really outdated for me.