Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First liquid cooling system - advice?

Hi, I've been planning a liquid cooling system for my pc for a while so that I can do some overclocking. I know my hardware is a little dated, but I'm trying to push some more life out of it, and have a decent cooling system for the next upgrade later on.

I'm gonna cram all this into a Lian-Li PC-A05NB which I already have, it'll need some mods... and I've modeled that up to make sure that it'll all fit. Take a look!

But I've got a few questions that I'm hoping the people of experience here could help me out with.

Here's what I'm looking at:
1x Laing D5 Pump @24v (have this already)
1x Primochill Typhoon III Top

Loop 1:
1x Hardware Labs GTX360
3x Koolance FAN-12025HBK (2600 RPM, 107.6 CFM, 32.8 DBA)
1x Koolance GPU-220 and ram heat sinks or a full coverage block
1x Koolance CPU-360
1/2 Fittings and Tubing

Loop 2:
1x Hardware Labs GTX120
2x Koolance CHC-122 on chipsets (have these already)
1x Koolance FAN-12025HBK (2600 RPM, 107.6 CFM, 32.8 DBA)
3/8 Fittings and Tubing (I have a bunch of koolance barbs and compression fittings as well as Tygon tubing)

Case Mods:
1x Koolance 3x120 SHR-1020BK Shroud
4x Koolance FAN-12025HBK (2600 RPM, 107.6 CFM, 32.8 DBA) for intake

So here's what I'm wondering:
-Is a GPU-220 a good waterblock for overclocking or will the ram get too hot with just some heatsinks?
-Can anyone recommend a good full coverage block for an 8800 GTS 640 instead?
-I need some low profile 1/2" 90 degree swivel fittings for the GTX360 rad, they need to be less than 20mm to fit. anyone know of something that would work?
-Any highly recommended 1/2" fittings?
-Also, how does the CPU-360 compare to some of the other CPU waterblocks?
-Anyone know of a decent place to get most of the koolance parts? Overwise I may order right from their site since the dollar is so close right now...
-If anyone has some other suggestions to this plan, by all means lemme know!

Thanks in advance!
Old April 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Need a post count 1 before I could put up images...
Attached Images

Old April 17, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can't speak on those Koolance parts, although I'm quite happy with the CPU-350 block. Hope you've heard those fans, or at least something similar - 2600rpm is a fair amount noise. And FYI,

-The KL SHR-1020BK shroud uses a 17mm fan bolt spacing, whereas the HWL radiator uses 15mm spacing. So if you're intending to attach the fans to both the shroud and the radiator, you're going to run into a little trouble.
-Running the D5 at 24V doesn't really do much except increase the heat dump, as the rotor speed is controlled via internal circuitry, not just voltage like a regular DC motor. Really, much simpler to just run it off the PSU normally.
Old April 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Top Prospect

are you running 2nd loop just for chipset? but I don't see a pump there.

I would suggest 1 loop instead.

See if bitspower fittings are good for you. and CPU-360 is a good choice.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

MpG:
-I have heard fans of similar sound level, and I think I'll be able to deal with the noise. I plan to put a resistor in-line on those fans (possibly variable) to bring down the speed and a bypass switch if i want full power when I'm running things under heavier load.
-I realized that the fan spacing was different on the shroud and radiator, I was going to open up the holes on the fans so that I could just shimmy things over a couple millimeters and it'll all work out.
-On the pump side, I looked up the performance graphs on the D5, and at setting 4 for a few watts I can get about a 45% pressure head gain. Was gonna put in a separate 24v power supply and wire it to a relay to take signal off the PSU so that it'll only be powered when I've got the PC on, but maybe that's better left to a later upgrade.

Does all that sound reasonable, or am I out to lunch on some of this?

ottoyu34:
-Yes, I'm running a second loop for the chipset. The Typhoon III is a combination pump top/resevoir with dual inlets and outlets so that two loops can be run off one pump. Surprisingly good results according to Skinnee Labs here. Actually, just notice in putting up this link that the review on the CPU-360 is done!! I'm running two loops because I want to keep the restriction down on the loops and don't expect a huge amount of heat out of the chipsets.
-I was looking at these low profile koolance fittings NZL-LXG2 that claim to be swivel, but don't appear to be from what I can tell... anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone have opinions on the GPU waterblocks?
Old April 17, 2010, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartner View Post
-I realized that the fan spacing was different on the shroud and radiator, I was going to open up the holes on the fans so that I could just shimmy things over a couple millimeters and it'll all work out.
-On the pump side, I looked up the performance graphs on the D5, and at setting 4 for a few watts I can get about a 45% pressure head gain. Was gonna put in a separate 24v power supply and wire it to a relay to take signal off the PSU so that it'll only be powered when I've got the PC on, but maybe that's better left to a later upgrade.

Does all that sound reasonable, or am I out to lunch on some of this?
Just wanted to make sure you knew about the difference - 15mm is pretty standard these days, those shrouds herald back to an older time, that's all.

For the pump, I'm seeing setting 4 top out at about 275mBar head pressure under both 12V and 24V, but the 24V setting pulls almost twice the power. Note that only the power scale is doubled under 24V, not the head pressure scale. So under those circumstances, I think I'd want to use the computer PSU.
Old April 17, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

We get dinged with brokerage all the time as Koolance refuse to send anything but UPS, other then that it is easier to get everything right from their web shop.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thats a lot of Koolance...
Old April 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
For the pump, I'm seeing setting 4 top out at about 275mBar head pressure under both 12V and 24V, but the 24V setting pulls almost twice the power. Note that only the power scale is doubled under 24V, not the head pressure scale. So under those circumstances, I think I'd want to use the computer PSU.
I think I read the graphs wrongly the first time, so I agree that the gains probably aren't there for going to 24V so I'll stick with running off the PSU. But I'm not seeing the power draw doubling going to 24V...

AmuseMe:
I realize it's a lot of Koolance... some of the parts I have already. The fans take up most of the list there cause they move almost 108CFM and stay under 33DBA. I also have a bit of bias toward them...
Attached Images

Old April 18, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Koolance fans are unfairly underrated. In my tests they did better then Flexes. FYI there is 38mm version of fans you are looking for.
HTPC Build: Final Video