Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default My summer Uber build - first shot at Watercooling

Hey guys,

So I've completed my most recent build in January and installed everything in a Storm Sniper BE. While it is a nice case, I don't find it very watercooling friendly, and since I now want to watercool my build I've decided after reading around that I would build my new case. That's right, I'm gonna make myself a nice case out of wood!!!

I am still in early stages for this project. I came across 2 sweet deals recently and purchased a full cover block for my 4890 from a fellow member and a triple rad on sale.

My first question. I want to install some nice looking fans on the front of the case since it's what we'll see the most. In this case I was thinking some Gelid Wing 12, but at that price I don't want the fans that we won't see to cost me 18$. What are good silent/quiet fans for a rad, since i want a push/pull setup on my rad. The way I have it designed for my case, the fans will pull in fresh air and exhaust the warm air outside the case without ever mixing with the rest of the components for optimal cooling.

Also I am kinda lost with all the fittings. Compression fittings, barbs ... some really cheap, some stupid expensive. What when and where is what needed?

As summer and money gets closer I'll probably put up some design pictures to get you guys' input on the loop.

I will order all I can from Dazmode to encourage a fellow Canadian!

So basically for now :
- Good fans for a rad that are reasonably priced (less than 12$) and are fairly quiet?
- Which kind of fittings are best?
- Who sells Radgrills online except MNPCTech, since I'd rather get plain ones without any text and his new ones are simply amazing but I can't pay that much money since I'll need 1xtriple 1xdouble and 1xsingle radgrill.

Thx guys!
Old April 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Best value for a fan, I have to say NCIX.com - Buy Yate Loon Value Bundle Deal - Includes 5 Sleeved D12SL-12 Fans 1350RPM 47CFM 28DB W/ Mounting Screws - D12SL-12-VALUE-PACK In Canada.

the 5 Pack for under $40, is an amazing deal. Another choice would be the Zalman F3s, those are pretty good fans, I think they come with their so called fan mate thing that lets you increase/decrease fan speed (I think so).. or you could invest in a fan controller. I personally have one of these NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower X-STATION POWER-EXTENSION I - Male Version 4PIN Molex to Power Distribution Board - Red - BP10509 In Canada. very helpful, not too large, but comes with 3v, 5v and 12v fan headers. Also has molex connectors, which are useful. But as I said, can only plug in I think 4 fans, I have to check again.

I'm currently using those Yate Loons on 5v, can't hear them, 3 of them.

Fittings, depends on your budget, if you can afford compression fittings, go for it. People who have a budget, tend to just stick with regular barbs and worm clamps, you can get worm clamps cheap from any hardware shop (rona, home depot etc.), so you really can't beat the price of regular barbs + worm clamps. Compression fittings are good, lots of people use them now, sometimes you need thicker O rings in them, which sometimes make system leaks, but that is rare, I haven't seen much of that. After all these years, whenever I build a new system and water cool, I still use regular barbs, good old safe way.

Radgrills, if you don't mind ordering from across the border, Sidewinder has some.. Radiator Shrouds, Gaskets, Grills and Accessories

What kind of case are you using, reason for me asking is what exactly do you need a rad grill for really ?

Good Luck with your build, btw we need to give you spanking, still on a first go, you should have switched over long time ago :p..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks for the tips.

The radgrills are purely for aesthetics ... if thats a work a.k.a. "Ohhhh it looks so pretty!". Actually they will help with my mounting system if all works well.

Once again, I'll build the case out of wood, so I'm using my own custom super l33t case.

Barbs do sound good. Again I don't want to spend 20$ on 1 fitting...

And for fans, I prefer non LEDs fan, but I have some Yate Loons and they are very good!

I'm leaning towards a blue or green colour theme for now, even if my gpu is an ATI and my Gigabyte mobo is blue....
Old April 15, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thx for considering Dazmode for some parts! You can call me to discuss options and stuff like barbs vs compression.

As rad drills go if you after silent set up youmay not want to restrict your flow with fancy grill and just go with wire grills.

Yate loons are great fans for nothing, but nice looking fan is in an eye of beholder, for me nothing looks better then San Ace fan.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 15, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Thanks for the tips.
Barbs do sound good. Again I don't want to spend 20$ on 1 fitting...
It is more like $2-4 vs $6-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
I'm leaning towards a blue or green colour theme for now, even if my gpu is an ATI and my Gigabyte mobo is blue....
Don't worry about that. When case is closed with UV lights on, you can't quite see you mobo colour - only your lights and tubes/coolant.
Old April 15, 2010, 03:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Thx Daz! I'll get more in touch with you once I start having some money... Soon, 2 weeks of school left!

For my plan, this is a basic plan of the case I'm planning to build :

Fee free to comment.

The pump and rad would be on the lower level and everything else would be on the upper level.

This way I plan to keep the lower portion air seperate from the upper portion air, so I get air as cool as I get. Also air would be pushed out the front and sucked in the other sides for now.

Was also thinking of name this project "Got Wood?" or "Wet Wood" but I don't think they are really appropriate ... so any ideas for a name with wood in it???
Old April 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is it 6 fans in and 3 out?
Old April 15, 2010, 05:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

4 or 5 pulling air in in the lower level and 6 fans on the rad in push-pull towards the outside of the lower level.

EDIT: Upon further thinking, it could simply be 6 fans in push-pull config pushing air OUT of the lower level and the air gets sucked in through 'fan shaped holes' on the sides and on the back. And I think radgrills would look good. At least better than just a hole, and simply fan grills on the rad.

Last edited by ADay2Long; April 15, 2010 at 06:45 PM.