Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 04:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Passive radiator?

I am looking into passive watercooling, since subtle, ominous sounds drive me far crazier than not-so amazing temps or the best over clock. I'd be looking for just a mild to moderate overclock.
Secondly, I have never even attempted a water cooled setup, or even seen one in person. So if any questions I have are dumb, feel free to inform me in an insulting and comical manner.
Anyway, would a rad like this suit a passive setup: Small Engine Radiator or Automotive Sub-Cooler on eBay.ca (item 270559804258 end time 07-May-10 05:24:43 EDT)
I would also be trying to fit in a fair size reservoir, but as I understand that only has an impact for the first while until the water heats up.
Let me know what you think... Or if anyone knows of a particular rad that will, let me know.

Yes, I've seen Squeetard's "Back in Black" but I have no such space to work with. It would have to be small enough to fit against the side of a full tower.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

with going passive the bigger the surface area the better check out back in black from squeetard. i am pretty sure he's running passive
Old April 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can you say "Mo-Ra 2 Pro": Watercool - MO-RA 2 Pro Made by the same people who make the HeatKiller It can hold nine fans (I say that to let you know how big it is).
Old April 12, 2010, 05:45 PM
Banned
F@H

well zalman had one or two tower like rads, pretty nice looking in the background next to your case and stuff.....

have you tried a big huge tower cooler without any fans, maybe just psu sucking some air around it? much cheaper, i reckon.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Can you say "Mo-Ra 2 Pro": Watercool - MO-RA 2 Pro Made by the same people who make the HeatKiller It can hold nine fans (I say that to let you know how big it is).
ah simplicity at it best need more rad get mo-rad.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The MoRa is out of my price range.
Passive air would be fine except that it leaves me with a noisy GPU, maybe PSU if it has to blow through a cpu heatsink too, and probably at least 1 case fan..
Keep the ideas coming though.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default If you have some time

Read this guys posts /threads over on Exteeemsystems Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread....Major 56K Warning! - XtremeSystems Forums

This is EPPIC

( warning masive threads masive 56K warning )
Old April 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Clone63 that ebay rad a no go for 100% aluminum radiator, better to go to scrap yard an find a copper rad from old truck. other option is geo cooling for silent operation
Old April 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great find zzlee that and epic build if i every saw one wow
Old April 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Clone63 that ebay rad a no go for 100% aluminum radiator, better to go to scrap yard an find a copper rad from old truck. other option is geo cooling for silent operation
Good call on that, I didn't even notice. Though I didnt really look through it that well.