Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

Default Is water cooling safe?

Guys, I have never even given water cooling a thought before now...
I'm not a computer novice by any means but completely green when it comes to water cooling... I saw the coolit system eco unboxing by linus, then checked out the corsair H50 review by 3dgameman. Both Items seem very nice indeed.

From what I read they are both closed systems, meaning zero maintenance with no refilling. just blow the dust out of the fan and radiator once in a while... that's it. This alone seems to make it a worthwhile option to cpu cooling.

Now some questions...
NOW.. really... How safe is water cooling on either of those products? Are either suitable for overclocking maybe an i5 750, i7-860 or maybe an i7 920-930.

Does it mater the direction you mount the block or radiator, ie, wires at the bottom, wires at the top, rad below or above the cpu ect? I mean will it affect cooling performance, or cause other issues? If one of these fail will I lose my pc?
Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz @ 4Ghz, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws cas7, WDC 1Tb WD1001FALS, WDC 640Gb WD6400AAKS, OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB, GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Corsair Hydro H70, LG GH24NS50 DVD 24x Burner, Antec Eleven Hundred, Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W, Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...osmond/1-1.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...benchmarks.jpg
Old April 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. prefilled systems never can match custom built ones.
2. water cooling is very safe the system is not under pressure, think of it as a high speed water fall system to move heat to a rad.
3. rad mount can help but never makes or brakes a water cooling system.
Old April 12, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

The ECO and H50 are on par with air-coolers. Nothing to awesome about them. I guess it can get you started into the wonderful world of water-cooling though
Old April 12, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 on what both of them said.

There's nothing better than to pick out each part for a customer water cooled rig, it works out perfect really. The Pre-filled ones are pretty descent really, although Cool-It makes some awesome units, even the not too expensive ones do a pretty good job.

On the pre-filled ones I don't think it matters where the radiator sits, as long as there is proper air flow through the rad.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 12, 2010, 02:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Watercooling was new to me just a few months ago, and I was pretty nervous about it at first. I now have two rigs watercooled, and I will never go back to air.

I would go with a custom setup though. Will be easy to add to it later on if you do it right, and there are plenty of folks who can help you pick the right parts. My rigs run 100%, 24/7, and watercooling has been a godsend for my rigs.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

A custom setup can easily cost as much as a computer though, compaired to te $50 - $80 on prefilled ones It ain't cheap, but hell, is it ever worth it
Old April 12, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Watercooling was new to me just a few months ago, and I was pretty nervous about it at first. I now have two rigs watercooled, and I will never go back to air.

I would go with a custom setup though. Will be easy to add to it later on if you do it right, and there are plenty of folks who can help you pick the right parts. My rigs run 100%, 24/7, and watercooling has been a godsend for my rigs.
it helps when someone shows you the ropes. hum um kruzn I think? he he but yes once you go water you never go back.
@^ not if you buy it here he he. but your right i have spent thousands on water cooling.
all used common prices
swifttech 220. 30$-40$
350/5. 0r 650/5 pump for around 50$-70$
block. 30$-60$.
total not really that bad when you think how much that will cool.
Old April 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yup Kruzn put my first WC setup together. I did my second one a month later.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and see only a month later that's how easy it is all about the prep work and see what's available just on here ( i always have to stop myself ) http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-part-out.html
Old April 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yup Kruzn put my first WC setup together. I did my second one a month later.
Yep, watercooling is like crack. Once you start, you can't stop yourself. My current setup cost as much as a budget computer lol :P