Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
Trial Member

Default water cooling a video card only ?

Hello
Im a total noob at water cooling. I have a 480gtx coming and they are supposedly very hot and loud under load. I have a p182 case and currently it is very quiet and can barely hear my 260gtx when it spins up. I dont like loud systems. Is it possible to water cool a video card only? I dont intend to over clock i just want quiet. If this is possible what would i need ?
Thanks
Old April 8, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, it is possible. You would need....

Radiator (I would suggest a PA120.2 from Thermochill - hard to find)
Reservoir
Pump (MCP355/350, EK DCP4.0 should be enough)
GPU Block
Fittings
Tubing

Just read up on some normal WC'ing stuff and replace the GPU block with GPU block... you may have some trouble getting the tubing onto the GPU block (90 degree fitting may help that).
Old April 26, 2010, 05:21 PM
Rookie

if it is your first go at a watercooling system, here's what I'd suggest:

mcr220 radiator from swiftech (best price/performance ratio of all)
mcp655 or 355 pump
get a fullcover block for your 480 (I suggest an EK block because it's so sexy)
you don't need compression fittings but they do look nice. 9$ a pair is the usual price. If not, barbs are like 2$ a pair but you need to use clips/zip-ties.
tubing can be either 5/8 outside diameter (OD) or 3/4 OD. Doesn't really matter in terms of performance and smaller = easier to route. Primochill LRT is a good brand that I can recommend for relatively cheap (14$ for 10 feet).
Get a reservoir that fits either in your 5.25 bay or on top of the pump (if using a 355 pump/res combo).

That's it :)

Don't forget to leak-test your loop after putting it together and before installing it in your machine. You wouldn't want to have a leak on your expensive stuff right away ;)
Old April 26, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well for a GPU only, I would not get an MCP355 or the 655. An MCP350 with an XSPC Res top works - that is a pump, and res. For the radiaotor I would get something not made by swiftech, but if you are under budget, it will be fine. Personally, I would maybe get a duel-pass rad - Hardware Labs SR1 series, Feser, Primochill. Not sure if a 120.2 is really needed, but its better to be safe than sorry. Get the Gental Typhoon fans for the rad, as they are high static pressure at a low noise. for tubing, I personally use 1/2 barbs, and 3/8 x 5/8 tubing. For coolant, distilled water from the drug store and some silver kill coils (or just bitpower TRUE silver barbs).
Old April 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, you can cool any given component you like. To make your setup quiet you need to maximize your radiator size, while counter balancing it with slower fans. Dual rad probably will be rather silent, but you may get away with single radiator and faster fan.

Single gpu block is low restrictive component so any pump will do the job for you as well as size of tube. Just take what you like.

You need: GPU block, pump, reservoir, 6-8 ft of tube, radiator with fans and 4-6 fittings. Optional are custom pump top for better connection flexibility and fan controller to play with noise vs performance for your liking.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 29, 2010, 11:16 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys for this information and OP for the thread. I was just considering putting my 4890 on a closed loop and serendipity led me here.