Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
mattydies's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario
Posts: 301

My System Specs

Default CPU heatsink supgrade

I currently have a Arctic Freezer Pro 7 for my E6600.

I am looking for an upgrage.

Cooling ability is the first concern. Being quiet would be the second concern, and price is the third.



Any recomendations?


Thanks :)


Matty
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 25, 2007, 10:52 PM
Apollo4g's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 876
Default

Here are some good ones:
Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink

Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon

Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler

Noctua NH-U12F

And if you want extreme:

Coolermaster GeminII Copper Aluminum 6 Heatpipe Cooler

__________________
800D | i7 920 | EVGA Classified LE | 5970 EK Waterblock | 12GB - 1600 Dominators DDR3 | Silverstone Decathlon 1200W | Vertex 120GB |
ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 | Heatkiller 3.0 | Thermochill PA.120.3 | Freezone Elite | 2x655's with EK Dual D5 Top | T-Virus Res |



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2007, 07:19 AM
BALISTX's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 2,005
Default

Matty, I'm selling Scythe Ninja Rev. B. Take a look at the thread http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...nja-rev-b.html
__________________
"Though I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death I shall fear no evil as my C8 Carbine is locked and loaded."

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl


[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2007, 08:08 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,574
Default

Out of all those the only two that are really worth mentioning is the Ninja and Ultra and the other one is the Sunbeam Tuniq.

The Noctua comes with a crappy fan that doesn't work to sell with the heatsink, the typhoon is just a beast and you can get something smaller and works better, and the Gemini II is just.... dumb.

Make sure whatever case you have can fit them tho as these heatsinks are massive.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2007, 08:30 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,605
Default

Personally, I would buy the Ninja that Balistx is selling.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 362

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Out of all those the only two that are really worth mentioning is the Ninja and Ultra and the other one is the Sunbeam Tuniq.

... and the Gemini II is just.... dumb.
I agree, I'm not really a fan of the cooler master gemini II, it takes up alot of space for not much performance cooling. The Thermalright Ultra 120 IMO is the best of those picks, and depending on whether you decide to run it fanless or with a quiet fan, you can control its silence, Only downside is its not cheap (especially since it doesnt come with the fan). If anything, you could check out ULTRA 120 Extreme's little brother the ultima-90, same concept as the ultra-120, just much smaller and uses a 92mm fan or even a 120mm fan, performance is just around the Tuniq Tower I'd say. The Tuniq Tower is a good cooler as well.

I would recommend the gemini II only if the case has horrible ventilation and NB/memory would be needing air to be cirulated.
__________________
Daily // 2.4GHz Mac Mini ::4GB :: 320GB HDD :: Apple Wireless Keyboard :: G5v2

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 26, 2007, 10:45 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
I agree, I'm not really a fan of the cooler master gemini II, it takes up alot of space for not much performance cooling. The Thermalright Ultra 120 IMO is the best of those picks, and depending on whether you decide to run it fanless or with a quiet fan, you can control its silence, Only downside is its not cheap (especially since it doesnt come with the fan). If anything, you could check out ULTRA 120 Extreme's little brother the ultima-90, same concept as the ultra-120, just much smaller and uses a 92mm fan or even a 120mm fan, performance is just around the Tuniq Tower I'd say. The Tuniq Tower is a good cooler as well.

I would recommend the gemini II only if the case has horrible ventilation and NB/memory would be needing air to be cirulated.
I like the idea that it doesn't come with a fan because its a true enthusiast cpu cooler and enthusiasts want every little bit of control of their system and that includes the fans they trust or wish to use.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
mattydies's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario
Posts: 301

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Personally, I would buy the Ninja that Balistx is selling.
IF I had checked back on my post in time I would have.

I just checked it for the first time since I posted. (8 pm Sunday oct 28th.)


Thanks for the in information guys :)


I am debating between the Ninja, the Ultra, and the Tuniq.


I will be deciding and ordering this week.


Thanks again


Matty
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
IF I had checked back on my post in time I would have.

I just checked it for the first time since I posted. (8 pm Sunday oct 28th.)


Thanks for the in information guys :)


I am debating between the Ninja, the Ultra, and the Tuniq.


I will be deciding and ordering this week.


Thanks again


Matty
You honestly can't go wrong with any of those 3 and it will come down to personal preference and cost because all 3 work VERY VERY good at what they are supposed to do.

Btw I run the tuniq.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 2, 2007, 04:24 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 33
Default

Hey guys, the Scythe Ninja, is it much good with the stock cooler?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ds3r SB heatsink Mr. Cipher Air Cooling 22 February 28, 2008 02:39 PM
how much paste on the HSi heatsink magictorch Video Cards 0 February 23, 2008 02:48 PM
Cooling question (fan and heatsink) Mr. Cipher Water Cooling 1 November 6, 2007 08:26 AM
COOLINK introduces the Silentator CPU Heatsink Babrbarossa Press Releases & Tech News 0 June 12, 2007 05:47 AM
Why not sell w/o heatsink? Babrbarossa Video Cards 11 May 1, 2007 02:20 PM