Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Default flexibility of water cooling a CM stacker 830

Hi everyone!

I'm having some trouble with my new case. I'm thinking of upgrading my cooling system to water cooliing but I have read a lot of reviews that lead me to believe that installing a water cooling on a CM stacker 830 is quite hard without doing any serious modding. Basically my question is, how far do I have to go into modding my case to fit a decent water cooling system? My hope is that I don't have to...

The reason I wish to go with water cooling is because I'm thinking of pairing my existing xfx 8800 gtx with another one in sli mode and at the same time improving the temp of my cpu. Since those wonderful cards generate a whole bunch of heat and the overcloking of my cpu would make things worst, maybe water cooling would be the best, right?

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do for my situation! I really want to go sli here but the temp would kill my pc...

Thanks in advance!

BTW, these are some of my current specs:

CPU: intel core 2 duo e6850 at 3.0 GHz (not overclocked yet) retail cpu cooler
MB: psn32-e sli nforce 680i
RAM: 2x1024 mb ocz ddr2 pc2-8500 (1066 MHz) dual channel epp sli-ready
PSU: TT 700 watts toughpower sli ready
HDD: seagate 400 GB (7200) x 2 (RAID-0)
graphics card: xfx 8800 gtx 575 MHz 768 mb
sound card: sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer
Old October 25, 2007, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe many people have put water cooling in that case. It really depends if you want the radiator inside the case or not. If you mount it externally, then I don't see what the issue would be.

Seeing as you want to cool 2 8800GTXes and a CPU too you'd probably need at least a 120.3 rad.

I'd also grab a new power supply too if you get another GTX. ThermalTake 700W may not cut it.

Side note: you may consider putting your system specs into your signature.
Old October 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking of putting the rad on the back, right where the 120x120 mm fan goes. I still haven't decided which water cooling kit would satisfy my needs. All the time I've only had air cooling, so this will be kind of a challenge...

I was also thinking of getting a 850 watt thermal take tough power... there's also the 850 watt OCZ gamextream or (if 850 is not enough a 1000 watt TT, which might be a little over my budget for the PSU)

Oh, and yes... I'll put my pc specs as part of my signature later on... I'm just kinda new to threads anyway.
Old October 25, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just fetched myself a stacker 830 and I just screwed the middle fan on my 3X120mm radiator to the spot on the back that you mentioned- where the 120mm fan goes- just buy yerself one of the thermochill 120.1 fan shrouds as a spacer so that th rad is far enough from the back of the case to plug everything in, and the only mod you have to do is drill a hole in the back for a hose to go through- the other hose I put through one of the open card slots (I removed the metal strip between two of them to make enough room- very easy though) This is an easy and good-looking solution - only problem is that SLI will be very tricky with this system as the hoses go through where the second card would be. Sorry I don't have pics yet
Old October 26, 2007, 01:24 PM
Rookie

Hmmm... that seems like a interesting option. Like you said, based on this config running that set up with two cards in sli might not work. But what if instead of making the hose go through one of the pci slots, I drill another hole somewhere else? I was also wondering if it will possible to put the rad on the side panel, where the 4 fans go? but I guess if I do that, probably I wont be able to close that side since it will interfere with 8000 gtx cards... Could I leave that side open though? Is that gonna make things easier? Probably dust will get inside...

GOD, WHY DID I GET THIS CASE?!!!
Old October 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
Mushkin Rep.

I went with a swiftech radbox Swiftech with my CM Stacker830
MCP-655 pump
Micro-res
ThermoChill PA 120.3 rad
6 Yate loons in Push - Pull
D-Tek Fusion Water Block

It is rather simply installing externally, tubing can go through the pci slots, due to some kinking to the hose cause of this, I cut out a 2 pci slot hole, from part of the pci plates, this helped drop temperatures a bit, but wasn't needed.

I just ordered a couple full coverage Danger Den HD2900XT blocks to add to the loop.
I have the hoses going in between the cards in the back.

I have also left all 4 fans in the side of the case, since the motherboard will still need all the air circulation.

Last edited by MushkinGreg; October 26, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old October 26, 2007, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post
I went with a swiftech radbox Swiftech with my CM Stacker830
MCP-655 pump
Micro-res
ThermoChill PA 120.3 rad
6 Yate loons in Push - Pull
D-Tek Fusion Water Block

It is rather simply installing externally, tubing can go through the pci slots, due to some kinking to the hose cause of this, I cut out a 2 pci slot hole, from part of the pci plates, this helped drop temperatures a bit, but wasn't needed.

I just ordered a couple full coverage Danger Den HD2900XT blocks to add to the loop.
I have the hoses going in between the cards in the back.

I have also left all 4 fans in the side of the case, since the motherboard will still need all the air circulation.

How can I do that? I mean, wouldn't I be wasting a pci slot by doing that? I cannot add another card in that slot... not that I'm thinking of doing, well, except for my new 8800 gtx. I also wanna leave at least a couple of fans on the side panel, like you said, to keep cooling the whole MB a bit. BTW, where do you have the rad installed on? This is my main concern since it's hard to install it inside, but on the outside of the case seems better... Is there another way that I can do the installation without passing the hoses through the pci slots?

People, help me, please:help:!!! (and as a bonus, can you guys post some pics that can be helpful?)
Old October 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
Mushkin Rep.

Here is a pic, using the bottom pci slot, its now moved above that card.

I'll try to get some better pics of it currently.
Old October 26, 2007, 05:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post

Here is a pic, using the bottom pci slot, its now moved above that card.

I'll try to get some better pics of it currently.

I like that... where are those hoses leading to? are you using 1/2" or 3/8"?
Old October 29, 2007, 06:03 AM
Mushkin Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDial View Post
I like that... where are those hoses leading to? are you using 1/2" or 3/8"?
1 goes to the cpu, one comes from the res.

That way coolest water comes from the rad to the cpu.

Using 7/16th hosing, as it gave a better seal then 1/2