Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Default dual Gtx 480 wc loop plan

Hey guys I just had a couple questions about the way I plan on setting up my loop with 2 gtx 480 FTW I intend on buying hear in the near future. any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Currently in my system now:
-Coolit Boreas Tec chiller
-HK 3.0 cpu block
-koolance x-58 classfied nb and vreg blocks
- swiftech triple rad
-evga classified (59) original release
- tubing size is 1/4 id

Question #1

Now if I get 2 of these gtx 480 FTW will the water blocks on them allow me to use one of these Bitspower Shining G 1/4 Silver 1in. D-Plug Set for Direct Connect # BP-WTP-C38 direct connect fittings between the cards? I have an x58 classified original release and was just wondering what the spacing would be and if the evga blocks would allow for a direct connection setup between cards. Then I don't require tubing between cards.

So it would go fitting on top side of #1 (top) card for entrance of water, direct connection inside between cards and another barb on the bottom side of the #2 (bottom) card for the exit of water. I dunno if i explained that for u guys to understand lol.

Question#2

The way my loop is now is Tec - pump - cpu - nb - vreg - triple rad - back to tec.

I plan to also get another double rad and use that to help exhaust the heat from the added 480's.

So the new configuration would go like this then Tec - pump - cpu - nb - vreg - triple rad- gpu1 - gpu2 - double rad - return to tec.

Does this seem like the best possible way to setup my loop after acquiring the 480s?

Question #3

I am using pretty damn small tubing (1/4 id) compared to what most people use as my Boreas requires a relatively slow flow in order for the tecs to adequately cool the liquid. Right now everything works fine and I am good with temps. Would all this extra stuff ( 2x gtx480s and double rad) be going past the pumps limits? I figure since the tubing is so small it shouldn't be a problem.

Its probably just gonna end up being trial and error but I thought maybe someone out there would have an idea.
Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated guys. Cheers!
Old March 27, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Second loop

think maybe of seperate loop fore vidio cards? They run hot and will need good flow. my 2cents

look at EVGA forum " 480 FTW "
Old March 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
Rookie

hah I posted same thread on evga site and Coolit forums allready. Just figured id cover all my bases. let the opinions fly! lol Dunno about the dual loops i wanted it all in one as i already have so much in my case. another pump and res and i wouldn't be able to open the side door without it all spilling out!

Appreciate the quick response tho!
Old March 27, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Atleast ditch the Swiftech rad, and Koolance blocks. Get the BitsPower or EK blocks for the board
Old March 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
Rookie

I will admit the swiftech rad isn't the best. But why the anti-koolance? Its keeping my nb and vreg at totally respectable temperatures. No complaints at all there. And what would you recommend for a triple rad?
Old March 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopyour View Post
I will admit the swiftech rad isn't the best. But why the anti-koolance? Its keeping my nb and vreg at totally respectable temperatures. No complaints at all there. And what would you recommend for a triple rad?
Ive had issues with some Koolance products, and the over all quality (of my specific productsn and others I know) where not that great... If the temps are good, great Im just not a Koolance person.

As for rads: (no particular order. I personally like the SR1-360)

SR1-360
Feser
PrimoChill
Old March 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Rookie

Yeah its the first koolance block ive ever bought but ive actually been pretty impressed with it. Ill check out those other rads tho, thanks for the input!
Old March 27, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1/4ID = fast flow, low volume. 1/2ID = slow flow, high volume.

Not sure I see your logic...

Anyways, that connect should work, but I would see what other people are using first.

And you may need more than a double rad, 2 GTX480's = ~500W load from GPU's alone....
Old March 27, 2010, 11:02 PM
Rookie

Yeah sorry about that. I was just talking about the fact that since im using a smaller tubing size I have more pressure to push through more stuff in my loop. If it was a larger tube size there be more volume to push through all the blocks and the pump would struggle more. I think that's how it works inst it?
Old March 27, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Phi R ^2

Look up area of a circle and volume of a tube.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...nOyqTBr8Vezxpw

The ratio of diamter to area

The larger the hose the less friction occers on the wall of the tube. The sliperyer the tube less friction. Larger the tube more volume off liquid contained.