Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
MVP
F@H

Default What kind of pump for....

I want to put the radiator in the basement (well just under the floor when my computer is) The tubing would go about 3 feets in the back on the computer, then 3 feets down in the basement. So my question is, how much pump power do I need? I just want to watercool the cpu (my I7 rig) ... I already have a mcp600, but I doubt it will be enough..

Opinions please?
Old March 23, 2010, 09:43 PM

My System Specs

What is the head pressure of the MCP600? It should be enough as long as the loop isn't to restrictive.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A MCP655 should be able to do it, they have a maximum head pressure of 10 ft, which means it should be able to pump straight up 10 ft. Keep in mind that you have to include the head pressure in your computer as well, so add another 2 feet from the bottom of the case to the top.

Edit: specs here state the MCP600 has a 10 ft. head pressure as well. It should do it. SWIFTTECH
Old March 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
A MCP655 should be able to do it, they have a maximum head pressure of 10 ft, which means it should be able to pump straight up 10 ft. Keep in mind that you have to include the head pressure in your computer as well, so add another 2 feet from the bottom of the case to the top.

Edit: specs here state the MCP600 has a 10 ft. head pressure as well. It should do it. SWIFTTECH

Head pressure doesn't matter in a closed loop, the force required to push the water up is offset by the force of the water coming back down.
Old March 23, 2010, 10:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OK, how do you get a closed loop without pumping the water through it at least once? My loops have never filled both inlet and outlet sides without pumping, especially with restrictive blocks. Maybe I've been doing something wrong.

Regardless, we all agree that his current pump should do it.
Old March 23, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless? View Post
Head pressure doesn't matter in a closed loop, the force required to push the water up is offset by the force of the water coming back down.
what you are refering to is load on pump motor

head pressure is the max verticle discharge from pump head

the vertical lift in height (usually measured in feet of water) at which a pump can no longer exert enough pressure to move water.

At this point(height), the pump may be said to have reached its "shut-off" head pressure as the flow rate at that point is zero.

The higher a pump's head pressure, the more powerful the pump.

D5 headpressure is 19ft spec.pdf so from pump outlet and above its 19ft @ sea level

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old March 23, 2010, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Doesnt an Laing 3.2 (MCP355) with an aftermarket top have more head-pressure than the 655?
Old March 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

stock ddc is 20ft head ddc.pdf

amuseme its flow not head on aftermarket tops you loose some head
Old March 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
stock ddc is 20ft head ddc.pdf

amuseme its flow not head on aftermarket tops you loose some head
Ah... But who wants to use a stock DDC top So it's double the 655 though.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
Banned
F@H

Since you pump will be in the basement , you can look at a 120 volts one, I use a lot of Eheim pump in my house for my aquariums, I use the one rated 10' and my pump is 8' below the top level of my aquarium, I lost flow of course, so I use a higher flow one that I will use it if it was direct at the side of the aquarium.