Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You're good to go! As for your questions:

zipties (also called tye-wraps) work just fine.
the Swiftech 3/8" clamps do not work on the 5/8" OD tubing. It has to be the Swiftech tubing.
metal clamps are called worm gear clamps.
distilled water is all you need. just add the water additive with the correct ratio.

One comment regarding the metal barbs: do not overtorque them, since the threads on the Apogee are plastic. You don't want to strip them.

John
Alright. So just screw the barbs in until they are just beyond snug? Basically hand-tight?

Once I get it all, can I leak test with it all installed but none of my hardware turned on?
Maybe with some paper towels or something covering things up. I really don't want to mount it all, then unmount it all, then mount it all. I guess it should be run overnight, even though I'll be so anxious to just get it all up and running...
Old December 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Barbs are torqued Hand-tight + 1/2 turn. The trick is to compress the o-ring just enough.
You have to leak test overnight. Connect the pump to a molex connector and jump the main PSU harness (pins 4 and 6, green and black wires) to start the pump. You may need to add a few fans to the other molex connectors, to add some load to the PSU (some don't start with barely any load).
Assemble your loop in your case, with no components installed. This will bleed the system too of any air bubbles.
Old December 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So, mock mount it all up, take out the motherboard, let it run overnight. Then maneuver the motherboard back in, mount the block and power it up. Sounds tricky...
Better safe than sorry I guess though.
Old December 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, that's about it. And yes, better be safe than leaky. I know, it happened on my second wc built... since the first one went so well, I thought "no need to leak check"... yeah right. Cost me a 680i. You learn by your mistakes, or from others.

Learn from others, it's cheaper.

And take your time.

John
Old December 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ouch that sucks. Well I'll play it safe then. Won't be able to afford anything after this, and I've already gone through one motherboard