Rookie

My System Specs

Talking Water cooling noob

Currently I have

* XFX 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 Graphics card
* Antec 1200 Gamer Case
* Intel Core I7 920 D0 Processor
* Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink

and I am thinking about upgrading from the Ultra 120 to water cooling. I have a friend who has helped me a little bit, but I wanted some input from other people. I have read that the Antec 1200, despite its large size, is not the most ideal case for water cooling. I guess this is something I will have to deal with, as I did not look into water cooling when I purchased it.
A friend of mine suggested these parts to me for water cooling (sorry about no links, apparently I cant post links on my first post):
-Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings
-Thermochill PA120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator with 15MM Spacing
-Swiftech MCP350 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs

He also said to get only Primochill hoses, and said that the water resivour does not really make much of a difference.
I was wondering what other peoples opinions are on what I should get for hardware, or has any opinions on the hardware that I posted here.
Also, I want to cool my 4870X2 card if I can, but am having trouple figuring out which Water Block would be the best.

Thank you guys in advance!

Last edited by border43; March 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by border43 View Post
Currently I have

* XFX 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 Graphics card - $493 - 30 MIR
* Antec 1200 Gamer Case - $202
* Intel Core I7 920 D0 Processor - $345.99
* Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink - $69.99

and I am thinking about upgrading from the Ultra 120 to water cooling. I have a friend who has helped me a little bit, but I wanted some input from other people. I have read that the Antec 1200, despite its large size, is not the most ideal case for water cooling. I guess this is something I will have to deal with, as I did not look into water cooling when I purchased it.
A friend of mine suggested these parts to me for water cooling (sorry about no links, apparently I cant post links on my first post):
-Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings
-Thermochill PA120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator with 15MM Spacing
-Swiftech MCP350 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs

He also said to get only Primochill hoses, and said that the water resivour does not really make much of a difference.
I was wondering what other peoples opinions are on what I should get for hardware, or has any opinions on the hardware that I posted here.
Also, I want to cool my 4870X2 card if I can, but am having trouple figuring out which Water Block would be the best.

Thank you guys in advance!
I have almost the same build except I got a MCP655 instead of the 350/355. I would assume your budget would determine if you cool the 4870x2 as well. I am not sure how much of an OC you could push adding the GPU to the loop as the 4870x2 & I7 both put out lots of heat.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, my budget is not set in stone, and I am willing to pay good money for a good cooling system. I (obviously) dont want to pay a ton of money, but paying $600 for a great water cooling system vs. paying $500 for a mediocre one, I would pay the extra $100 no questions asked.
I found this DD-4970X2 Water Block online, and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it, or any other water blocks for this card.

Is the Swiftech MCP655 a really great pump? It seems to be much more popular than the one that I was originally looking at. I can find tons of positive reviews for it from people.

I was also wondering, as I have read that if I am going to be cooling my BPU as well, that is is better to get 2x double radiators rather than 1 tripple radiator. How much truth is there to this, or would the radiator I am looking at be good enough to cool both the CPU and the GPU?
And has anyone ever put the PA120.3 rad into an antec 1200 before? Does it fit well, or will I be stuck with the rad outside the case? I really want a completely internal setup if I can manage it. I am not using all 12 bays, so if I had to remove 3 of them to fit the radiator in the case, I would probably have no problems doing so. 9 bays is plenty for me.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't use any of the parts you listed, but it doesn't mean you can't use them.

Not many options for 4870x2 WC'ing as card start getting into dated zone, so blocks are harder to find. DD is one option. You also can use universal blocks like Swiftech MCW60 with heatsink. Or look into used option.

If you put radiator into place of HDD bays, you need 6 for double and 9 for triple. You also can put single rad on the back.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old March 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I wouldn't use any of the parts you listed, but it doesn't mean you can't use them.
Why is that? Both the CPU Block and Radiator are top performers.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:18 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I have to say if it was to redo again I will purchase the swiftech XT cpu block.. it was my first idea, I should have stick to it.
Old March 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post

Not many options for 4870x2 WC'ing as card start getting into dated zone, so blocks are harder to find. DD is one option. You also can use universal blocks like Swiftech MCW60 with heatsink. Or look into used option.

If you put radiator into place of HDD bays, you need 6 for double and 9 for triple. You also can put single rad on the back.
Well I am not certain that these are the parts that I am getting, I just wanted some input. So thanks :)
What about these makes you say that if you had the choice to do it all again, you would switch to the swiftech XT?

Old March 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EK-Supreme HF - Acetal - Universal CPU Water Block EK-Supreme HF - Acetal - Universal CPU Water Block [EK-Supreme HF - Acetal] - $71.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

DAZMODE LIMITED EDITION HEATKILLER Rev3.0 1366 VERNICKELT Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 LGA 1366, Core i7 [14015-VERNICKELT] - $129.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

The two blocks I would purchase if I had the 1366 platform

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 11, 2010, 05:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by border43 View Post
Well I am not certain that these are the parts that I am getting, I just wanted some input. So thanks :)
What about these makes you say that if you had the choice to do it all again, you would switch to the swiftech XT?

My understanding from all the test I have seen the Swiftech XT is one of the if not the best 1366 CPU block.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
So-so craft quality of Swiftech takes away any excitement. Ek and Heatkillers are light years ahead in QC.

Out of two XT we got in stock... both had un-tighten screws out of the box = leak. Watercooling is expensive hobby, so there is no room for crap like this.
HTPC Build: Final Video