Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
While I am no expert by any means, the Thermochill matches/beats the SR1 in terms of performance. The downside for me is the G3/8 threading it takes since that means you have to buy an adapter to put compression fittings on.

Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2 - Good roundup of all the Rads
Skinnee Labs | Core i7 CPU Block Roundup #2 - Good round up of all the CPU Blocks

Thermochill PA120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator with 15MM Spacing *No Barbs* - DirectCanada - PA120.3 $90

Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 360 Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4 - DirectCanada - SR1 $110
Yeah, but I dont want to spend ten hours cleaning the flux out of the ThermoChills. I don't care what anyone says - A ThermoChill radiator has a sever flux problem. At another forum I go to, and a few others here do as well, the admin there has eleven PA120.3's and there all full of that junk. Anyone else that I have talked to with a ThermoChill also have to clean the hell out of those things. 99% alcohol, vinigar, boiling distilled, you name it, they don't come out 100% clean - he resorted to ultrasound-rad cleaning. I personally will never put a water cooling radiator into my system untill I know they are clean.

My SR1 was clean after an hour (but of course I continued to clean it). Not a single piece of flux left in that sucker
Old March 11, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wasn't Thermochill also bought by XSPC or somebody in the UK. Especially after that, I've seen many posts on the internet stating the quality of Thermochill has gone down.

By all means go ahead and buy a thermochill, but we want you to get a solid radiator.

If you seriously don't mind noise and loud fans, I'd suggest you get the GTX360 hands down, not only does skinee rates it one of the best for high rpm fans, but they are known for their cooling.

Few things with the thermochill rads really annoy me, barbs are not a universal size, some cases can't mount a thermochill, whereas most rads on the market can, they are more for sure. I'm not against Thermochill, they are great rads, but require too much attention, enough that you can spend few $$ more and get a feser or a hw labs rad and be much happier.

Swiftech rads can be good until you are still on Intel core 2 dual cores and quad cores, as soon as you step into the i7 league, they show their cheapness (used that word after long time lol).

If I were you, I'd get a Feser rad, you can't go wrong with a German engineered product.. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old March 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
you can't go wrong with a German engineered product.. :)
Hence the HeatKiller
Old March 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Yeah, but I dont want to spend ten hours cleaning the flux out of the ThermoChills. I don't care what anyone says - A ThermoChill radiator has a sever flux problem. At another forum I go to, and a few others here do as well, the admin there has eleven PA120.3's and there all full of that junk. Anyone else that I have talked to with a ThermoChill also have to clean the hell out of those things. 99% alcohol, vinigar, boiling distilled, you name it, they don't come out 100% clean - he resorted to ultrasound-rad cleaning. I personally will never put a water cooling radiator into my system untill I know they are clean.

My SR1 was clean after an hour (but of course I continued to clean it). Not a single piece of flux left in that sucker
Interesting, thanks for that little tidbit of information. I just spent the better half of the last hour searching forums regarding this issue. It seems to be fairly spread out and the rads come clean with a little bit of vinegar. The Themorchill come heavily recommended by users on Xtremsystems.org which I why I choose the particular rad. I still have yet to clean my rad so I will let you guys know how it goes. I bought a water filter I plan to run my loop through for a couple of days to make sure the junk gets out.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for that little tidbit of information. I just spent the better half of the last hour searching forums regarding this issue. It seems to be fairly spread out and the rads come clean with a little bit of vinegar. The Themorchill come heavily recommended by users on Xtremsystems.org which I why I choose the particular rad. I still have yet to clean my rad so I will let you guys know how it goes. I bought a water filter I plan to run my loop through for a couple of days to make sure the junk gets out.
Every rad is a little bit different. Most of which, that I have known about are quite the pain. If you go through with cleaning them, and get G3/8 adapters or barbs, than you wont be disapointed.

Personally, they just don't seem worth all the hastle to me - thats all.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it!
So now, after reading all of that I am torn between a Thermochill rad, and a Black Ice SR-1.
I think it might come down to which ever one I think will fit in my case better. I have been looking up the antec 1200 and Thermochill rads, and it seems a lot of people have a lot of trouble with this case. I might wind up mounting the rad outside the case on the back, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference between the Black Ice SR-1 and the Extreme is?

Quote:
While I am no expert by any means, the Thermochill matches/beats the SR1 in terms of performance. The downside for me is the G3/8 threading it takes since that means you have to buy an adapter to put compression fittings on.

Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2 - Good roundup of all the Rads
Skinnee Labs | Core i7 CPU Block Roundup #2 - Good round up of all the CPU Blocks

Thermochill PA120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator with 15MM Spacing *No Barbs* - DirectCanada - PA120.3 $90

Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 360 Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4 - DirectCanada - SR1 $110
Thanks for this too :)
Old March 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

check this list to:
- CPU Block - HEATKILLER CPU Kuhler Rev3.0 1366 HEATKILLER CPU Kuhler Rev3.0 1366 [14015] - $119.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store
- Pump - Swiftech MCP 655-01 Water Pump with speed controller Swiftech MCP 655-01 Water Pump with speed controller [MCP655] - $89.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store
- Radiator - Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - DirectCanada

For barbs and tubing : bitspower compression fitting, primochill 3/4 OD. If you really want the loop to look good you can buy a MCP355 pump with a custom top. Leave the video card on air for now,ho knows you might want to change it.Buying now a full cover for that video card it is just a waste of money.
RFD
Old March 11, 2010, 06:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by micul View Post
For barbs and tubing : bitspower compression fitting, primochill 3/4 OD....... Leave the video card on air for now,ho knows you might want to change it.Buying now a full cover for that video card it is just a waste of money.

I agree with you with the GPU, especially with ATI one, where the waranty can be a problem, but for the fitting I will use plain old barb , they are cheaper and more secure. as for the Rad it make no sense to use a so expensive cpu block with the cheapest rad, why not order a fezer from Daz too. for the CPU block, the EK or Swiftech XT will be way cheaper than a Heatkiller, the Fezer rad are DAM good and will not make a huge difference at the end, and what about the fan, you can get the best rad, but without good fan it will not give better temps.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

SR1 and Swiftech is basically same thing, so better take MCR for less $$. Thermochills are not ROHS complaint (cheaper to make), so if you like some extra lead in your life go for it. Or you can go safe with TFC360 or GTX360 - both are high end.

+1 to MaklOne. You have to balance parts so one part won't damage other parts performance. You want the best then take TFC or GTX with 38MM fans + heatkiller - and you will be laughing. Or just take MCR with some 25mm fast Yate Loons with anything from old GTZ or Supreme LT (below $50) to Supreme or XT (about $75)
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old March 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
SR1 and Swiftech is basically same thing, so better take MCR for less $$. Thermochills are not ROHS complaint (cheaper to make), so if you like some extra lead in your life go for it. Or you can go safe with TFC360 or GTX360 - both are high end.

+1 to MaklOne. You have to balance parts so one part won't damage other parts performance. You want the best then take TFC or GTX with 38MM fans + heatkiller - and you will be laughing. Or just take MCR with some 25mm fast Yate Loons with anything from old GTZ or Supreme LT (below $50) to Supreme or XT (about $75)
Daz, I know you are a watercooling vendor, but you cant compare an SR1 to any Swiftech Rad. Swiftech rads cant do a thing these days when cooling i7's, not to mention the SR1 is twice as thick as a Swiftech rad. This applies for all duel-pass rads. My SR1-360 with three fans outperformed my Swiftech 480 with 8 1900RPM Scythes in push pull.

Just my 2c.