Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old March 3, 2010, 12:33 PM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

distillated water + petra nuke.
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old March 3, 2010, 09:05 PM
homer98's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 130

My System Specs

Default

Hey all, new to watercooling, but when using distilled water, why do you need Anti-Freeze or this "Silver" you speak of?? why need to mix certain things?
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old March 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

Leave a cup of water out in the open for a while, see what happens Silver is biocide

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti freeze, or any ethylene glycol solution prevents these corrosions to a certain extent..but only a certain extent
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 07:39 AM
Levesque's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 76
Default

I use distilled water + 1 drop per liter of water of Lugol Solution (iodine). 3$ for a 100ml bottle. And I have a twisted 8'' long 18 GA .999 pure silver wire at the bottom of all my reservoirs. Around 6$ for a 24'' wire shipped from ebay. :)

Water is crystal clear. I just cleaned a 1 year old loop, and everything was sparkling clean everywhere. :)

Every 3 to 6 months, I just put a new drop of Lugol in each loop.

Iodine + copper + silver ions are a pretty powerful algicide/biocide combination. :)

BTW, Petra Nuke is just copper sulfate. And you can make your own silver kill coil for alot less $ then they charge in watercooling stores. :)

Last edited by Levesque; March 4, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
homer98's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 130

My System Specs

Default

So you don't need to change the water very often if you have Silver and some sort of anti-freeze or ethylene glycol?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
Lima's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Posts: 588

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post
I use distilled water + 1 drop per liter of water of Lugol Solution (iodine). 3$ for a 100ml bottle. And I have a twisted 8'' long 18 GA .999 pure silver wire at the bottom of all my reservoirs. Around 6$ for a 24'' wire shipped from ebay. :)

Water is crystal clear. I just cleaned a 1 year old loop, and everything was sparkling clean everywhere. :)

Every 3 to 6 months, I just put a new drop of Lugol in each loop.

Iodine + copper + silver ions are a pretty powerful algicide/biocide combination. :)

BTW, Petra Nuke is just copper sulfate. And you can make your own silver kill coil for alot less $ then they charge in watercooling stores. :)


Do you still have a link to that Ebay seller? And, out of curiosity mostly, how much does the Iodine affect the waters color?

I have HydrX and distilled water in my loop presently but, planning a change to distilled water + silver.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 11:10 AM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

Iodine is brown. But if you use trace amounts of it, it doesn't affect the coloring. If your loop changes color, you're doing it wrong
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

So, distilled + silver, would mean I dont have nothing else to put in ?
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
Lima's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Posts: 588

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Iodine is brown. But if you use trace amounts of it, it doesn't affect the coloring. If your loop changes color, you're doing it wrong

Good to know.

On another note. I have BP silver fittings, is one per loop gonna be enough?
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old March 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
Levesque's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
Do you still have a link to that Ebay seller?
It was more then 1 year ago, so I don't remember. Just type ''.999 pure silver wire'' on ebay.ca and make your choice. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
And, out of curiosity mostly, how much does the Iodine affect the waters color?
I put 1 drop in 1 liter of water. It's almost an ''homeomagic'' concentration, huh I mean homeopathic... 8 drops in 4 liters of distilled water won't affect the ''color'' of the water. :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is in the water?! encorp Off Topic 44 February 17, 2010 12:03 PM
Bike won't start after using NOS fuel additive CTA Off Topic 17 May 24, 2009 02:42 PM
Water is the best? magictorch Water Cooling 16 January 25, 2009 05:41 PM
Help With Coolant Additive Johnnyl168 Water Cooling 18 November 29, 2008 04:34 PM
Where the water go... francois methot Water Cooling 10 October 23, 2007 10:57 AM