Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question Push vs Pull on a Rad?

Well opinions please on push vs pull fan setup. Rad is a thermal chill pa120.2 fans are yate loons. Will be a internal mount useing a fan controler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 14, 2007, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I vote for push, as it would be far more efficient to push cooler air through the rad fins then trying to pull the hot air out. When pushing the cool air through the rad you are more efficiently cooling the fluid inside the rad.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 14, 2007, 07:53 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Push: air back pressure against the rad fins; small distance between fan and fins does not allow for a proper laminate airflow (read turbulent air); lower-CFM needed, since air mass is at fan intake.

Pull: no back pressure against fins; lamintate airflow at rad intake; higher-CFM fan needed since air mass is further away from fan intake.

Basically, there's no difference (ok, maybe ~1C lower for pull). It's more of an installation requirement (clearance) than anything else.
Old October 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Push!: Hot air is 'bigger' than cool air- pull cool air in and you're using smaller hot air to create the negative pressure to do so, meaning you're pulling less air- push cool air through and you moving large amounts of denser air which gets bigger on the way through: more air friction and flow
Old October 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
more air friction and flow
Air friction equals turbulence which equals loss of laminate airflow. If the boundary layer is compromised by the turbulence, your heat exchange between fin and air will be reduced.

Think about a car radiator, with the fan in pull condition. Or another example (in which I know a lot more) are aircraft turbine engines, where the fans (the high-pressure compressors) are located after the combustion chambers.

john
Old October 15, 2007, 03:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The major difference is that those examples primarily use airflow that is NOT supplied by the fan (from forward motion) and you're right- in those cases, if the fan were in front pushing, it would disrupt that flow and create turbulence
Old October 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Taken from the FAQ on Thermochill's webpage:
Quote:
For best temps on the PA series, testing currently shows PUSH to be the best solution... shrouded vs unshrouded exhibits minimal benefits, in the region of upto 2%. Fans pushing as opposed to fans pulling exhibits increases of upto 4%, and is roughly equivalent to running a shroud with fans in a pull configuration.
Old October 16, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks! Good to lay that debate to rest
Old October 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use pull, go figure.
Old October 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

4% of 50*C is 2*C. My Q6600 and E6400 have temperature swings higher than 2*C. Like I stated in my first reply, it does not make any substantial difference.