Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Quick question on UV and fittings/tubing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/28877-quick-question-uv-fittings-tubing.html)

Patlabor February 13, 2010 10:20 PM

Quick question on UV and fittings/tubing

I am going to be building a water system and I have been doing a lot of research, but I looks like I need some help.

First off, I see that all the fittings on the rad, pump, blocks are G1/4.
So would it make scents to think that the smallest part/opening (and thats not even taking into account the inside of the rad and blocks) would be the most restrictive.
And going with any thing bigger then 1/4 ID tubing and fittings would be unnecessarily ?

My other question was on UV.
I want my tubes to light up under UV lights.
But I can't seem to decide on UV tubes or UV coolant or maybe both.
UV coolant in clear tubes
UV tubes with clear coolant in think
I was going with a blue theme, so give me your ideas.

Jackquelegs February 14, 2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patlabor (Post 333521)
I am going to be building a water system and I have been doing a lot of research, but I looks like I need some help.

First off, I see that all the fittings on the rad, pump, blocks are G1/4.
So would it make scents to think that the smallest part/opening (and thats not even taking into account the inside of the rad and blocks) would be the most restrictive.
And going with any thing bigger then 1/4 ID tubing and fittings would be unnecessarily ?

My other question was on UV.
I want my tubes to light up under UV lights.
But I can't seem to decide on UV tubes or UV coolant or maybe both.
UV coolant in clear tubes
UV tubes with clear coolant in think
I was going with a blue theme, so give me your ideas.

G1/4 is a threading size, not a measurement of internal diameter (ID) and outer diameter (OD).
1/2ID 3/4OD tubing would be the biggest that is recommended for the usual watercoolers, since it provides the least restriction while still being relatively versatile (able to bend well).
A good primer of everything can be found on Dazmode's page
Fittings & Connectors : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

UV effects seem much better IMO with clear tubing and dyed coolant, since that gives you a better "shine" and brilliance. UV effects using colored tubing tends to feel a little dull.

This is one of my older builds with colored tubing
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1372434/n512...80097_7714.jpg

This is one with colored dye and clear tubing
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1372434/DSC024l32.jpg

Patlabor February 14, 2010 05:07 AM

Well thank you.
You answered both my questions in one post ; )

Jackquelegs February 14, 2010 06:23 AM

..yes one more for the darkside...

I mean happy hunting :thumb: Pics when you're done!

Mavvens February 14, 2010 02:10 PM

re

For even a better effect you could use both.

Personally I prefer the UV tube (last longer, and better overall effect).
As i have better result with it with the colour I choose.

Be aware that depending on the chosen color and theme, the combination will/might be different!

I Don't have photo yet I know (Still a work in progress!).

AmuseMe February 18, 2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 333573)
G1/4 is a threading size, not a measurement of internal diameter (ID) and outer diameter (OD).
1/2ID 3/4OD tubing would be the biggest that is recommended for the usual watercoolers, since it provides the least restriction while still being relatively versatile (able to bend well).

+1.

I found that you need more room for the 1/2 x 3/4 stuff. I myself am a 3/8 x 5/8 person, even in bigger cases like the TJ07.

Patlabor February 22, 2010 12:40 AM

One more question, I hope ; )

I want to put the 1 pump and 3 rad fans on a controller, as I wont need them on full all the time.
But I was wondering if any one has been using this fancy one which is the same price as there crappy one.
While software control would be nice, some people seem to have issues with it (from reading the forums).
Or I could go with a rheostat 2 or switch.

I have killed 2 Vantec Nexus NXP201 controllers just using 4 Vantec Tornadoes 80mm.
They say they can handle them, yeah right.
So thats why I was thinking about using the more beefy switch controller.

Also as a side note I am looking for analog readout thingies like the Cooler Master Musketeer 2 but with more function then ajusting the volume or just a readout.
Any thoughts ?

Mavvens March 4, 2010 03:14 PM

re

Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme Black 5.25IN 6 Fan Controller Blue LED Up to 30W Per Channel

This is what I buyed, and I am extremely satisfied with it.
I does the job, period.

I got 4 scythe ultra kaze on 1 chanel (133 cfm each) and it does the job perfectly!

My too I have asked for that, and that was the answer I got.
Buy sunbeam one!
;)