Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Good citizens of HWC...

It's been quite some time since i last seriously payed attention to this forum, or anything in the computer world at large. I find that i have, yet again, fallen completely out of "the loop."

In simple terms, i no longer have any claim to having the slightest clue what is going on.

That said,

Instead of digging through a year's worth of posts, updates, and news articles, I figured I'd ask HWC if any serious advances have been made in the W/C world over the past, say, 8 months or so.

If nothing much comes to mind for anyone, then I'll simply be on my way, and likely end up buying something outrageously overpriced. (For anyone who remembers me, I still haven't watercooled that build of mine from last year. Stuff came up.)

As it stands, I was going to get a general WC set with a Swiftech pump, res, and 360 rad, 1/2 id tubing, full coverage blocks for two GTX 285's, and whatever the new spiffy block is for the 1366. That was the original plan, at least.

Maybe I'll get that giant feser rad... (See? I gravitate towards shiny expensive stuff. Help!)

Some opinions on efficient, quiet fans would be great, too.

I will happily accept and appreciate any help offered.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just new water blocks like heatkllers that's about all ( not a big fan guy sorry )and the heatkillers are shiny in nickel plate
Intel LGA 1366 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store
Old January 25, 2010, 09:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

CPU - Heatkiller, EK Supreme, or Apogee XT
GPU - EK Full cover blocks.
Rad - Feser, Thermochill or XSPC triple or quad. A MCR320 won't handle the 920 and 2x 285's in the same loop
Pump - 655 or 355.
Fans - I like Scythe S-flex 1200 or 1600 rpm.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
MVP
F@H

Step 1) figure out what hardware you actually need (do you game, work, etc.)
Step 2) acquire appropriate gear to cool parts described in step 1.

:)

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old January 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I game a lot. Gaming accounts for very nearly any and all serious stress I've ever put on this system. I'm looking to seriously OC it, after I WC.

I have been looking around the DazMode site quite a bit today, as well as a couple other sites I managed to dredge out of my horrible memory.

As far as the Apogee XT? Has the GTZ been surpassed? Apparently the Heatkiller is a favorite, too...

At most I'll be getting a triple rad. It's not that I don't have the space for a quad, but I don't have the proper place to mount such a monstrosity. The ATCS 840 has an easy little conversion kit for the top of the case, to trade the two 230 fans for three 120's, and I was planning to just pop in a rad there. I've considered sticking a second rad on the rear 120 exhaust fan, but i think that would just be overkill.

For fans, I've been looking at the Feser Triebwerk types, as well as a couple from Noiseblocker. I briefly considered Noctua, but i really don't like how they look, and there have been a few out there who say that they really aren't that great for rads. I'm attempting to mix silence and efficiency as well as possible.

What say ye?
Old January 26, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

heatkillers are better but not buy much and for the price i don't think it's worth it. i don't know what the heat load is on those cards but my mcr320 handled my 920 & 4870 both heavily OC just fine. jmo
Old January 26, 2010, 07:50 AM
Banned
F@H

I will use the Apogee on my new 920... something don't like about the look of the heatkiller, but that's personal.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

In the latest reviews, the Apogee XT is the best CPU block on the market right now. Better then the Heatkillers.

I really like my Apogee XT, but the space between the 2 fittings is REALLY small, and I had some problems installing fittings + overlapping clamps in there. I had to use a short Feser fitting and a longer Bitspower, so the clamps are not overlapping. There is also alot of quality control issues with those. Mine was perfect, but alot of people are getting Apogee XT with defects... so...

For fans, I have both S-Flex and Gentle Typhoon, and prefer the ''Gentle'' (lol stupid name). They are the new ''best'' fans on the market right now. Under 1000 rpm S-Flex and Typhoon are almost silent, no differences. But at 1800 rpm, the Typhoon are easier on my ears. :)
Old January 27, 2010, 02:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I bought a noiseblocker fan to test it out. We'll see. I'll likely buy one of the triebwerk fans from feser as well, as a test.

Thank you for your help and suggestions, folks.

Though i may have to hold off on buying the actual WC parts for a bit, now. Got myself in a wreck yesterday. Yay snow and ice.

The fun part is that I'll be paying out of pocket to fix both vehicles, as it was my fault, and I would rather pay big now to avoid an insurance spike.

I may just go through with buying the whole setup anyway...

(This thread has been horribly sidetracked.)
Umm. So! Rads. A serious suggestion on which rad to use would be nice. As i said, i may incorporate two into the loop. Thinking about a feser 360 as the main one...

Last edited by crispex; January 27, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness
Old January 27, 2010, 02:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
The fun part is that I'll be paying out of pocket to fix both vehicles, as it was my fault, and I would rather pay big now to avoid an insurance spike.
Ouch

The ATCS is a huge case but I'd be careful about putting a feser rad up in the top with triebwerk fans. Both are very thick and I'd be worried about intruding into the mobo area - I'm not sure about that but I'd keep it in mind as you look around.

I just bought the EK Supreme LT CPU block and I really like it. I have it on my i7 920 OC'd and running 24/7 folding load and my temps are sitting at 53/53/48/48 on the cores.

Have fun with your build