Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 19, 2010, 11:19 PM
HumorusPrawn's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 16

My System Specs

Default Radiator Flushing Necessary?

Do I need to do this?
If so what does it do to my rad?
I have the Thermochill PA120.3 it says its factory flushed but they recommend you to flush it.
Is this really necessary?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 19, 2010, 11:28 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumorusPrawn View Post
Do I need to do this?
If so what does it do to my rad?
I have the Thermochill PA120.3 it says its factory flushed but they recommend you to flush it.
Is this really necessary?
Absolutely.

Just get some nice hot boiling water and fill it up.. swish it around.. drain and repeat.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
HumorusPrawn's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 16

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Absolutely.

Just get some nice hot boiling water and fill it up.. swish it around.. drain and repeat.
So I dont add anything to the water? just boil it?
and how will I know when to stop, will the water be murky at first and then get clear, or do I just swish it around a couple times?. Also what does this do?

Sorry watercooling NOOB here, just want to get everything right :D
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumorusPrawn View Post
So I dont add anything to the water? just boil it?
and how will I know when to stop, will the water be murky at first and then get clear, or do I just swish it around a couple times?. Also what does this do?

Sorry watercooling NOOB here, just want to get everything right :D
Just water is fine.

And yes you'll see the crap coming out.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
HumorusPrawn's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 16

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Just water is fine.

And yes you'll see the crap coming out.
thanks, for the fast responses. When my rad gets back from RMA this will be the first thing I do!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,344
Default

Am I the only one to see a Radiator go on RMA.. I thought water cooling parts once used cannot be exchanged.

Anyhow, to the topic: Yes, but it must be boiling water, just keep repeating till you think that the rad is only pouring out clean water and no dirt.
__________________
Intel E8400, Biostar TPower i45
G-Skill PC2-8500 4GB, Saphire HD4870 512mb
Cooler Master HAF 932, Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 20, 2010, 04:38 PM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,126

My System Specs

Default

Wear gloves. The rad will get really hot if you use boiling water. I usually just turn my tap to max hot and let it flush through for 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 20, 2010, 11:01 PM
HumorusPrawn's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 16

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Am I the only one to see a Radiator go on RMA.. I thought water cooling parts once used cannot be exchanged.

Anyhow, to the topic: Yes, but it must be boiling water, just keep repeating till you think that the rad is only pouring out clean water and no dirt.
It had a leak in the fins, manufacturer defect. Took it to NCIX, pretty sure they tested it and they gave me replacement papers. Just waiting for it to come in now.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Dazmode's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I usually just turn my tap to max hot and let it flush through for 5 minutes.
+1 May be 10 min...
__________________
Venom Build: Caselabs SMH10, 3930k, 2x GTX680, MSI BigBangII, 8x Dominators, 2 x D5 , Quad Rad, Adaptec 7805, 4x WD Red, 2x Intel 510, Aquaero 5, 11x GT
Silent Sniper Build: Final Video, XSPC H1 Cube case, Supreme HF, 2xGTX470, GA G1 Sniper, Dominators, 2x Triple rad, Triebwerk Fans, 2x D5, Custom Sleeving
Orange Build: Final Video
HTPC Build: Final Video
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,589
Default

I boil distilled water and swish it. Then poor it through a coffee filter. When there is no visible particles I usually do it two-three more times
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting a radiator netforce Cases 9 May 1, 2009 07:31 AM
Fan for radiator phil3_66666 Water Cooling 9 April 21, 2009 03:44 PM
Which radiator? (issues) Micmal Water Cooling 2 June 19, 2008 01:23 AM
Gasket for Radiator? Dashock Water Cooling 4 May 17, 2008 04:27 AM
Radiator? nick_black Water Cooling 8 February 12, 2008 08:24 PM