Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

Default HAF 932 WC Setup

First, I want to say a quick thanks to Dazmode. He's got an awesome store, and super fast shipping. Less than 36 hours from the time I placed the order to the time the stuff was in my hands.

Anyway, I recently bought a new HAF 932 to replace my Ultra Grid case. I pulled the wc setup (Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Plus) that I had crammed in the ultra grid for the 932 and set it up inside. I replaced all the barbs with new highflow barbs from Daz, and picked up some new tubing (1/2" ID Feser). Threw in a few 45 degree adapters too.

Since I'm still fairly new to wc'ing, I wanted to check and see what you guys though of the loop, and if there are any issues with how I have it setup. I'd rather sort out the problems now before I get any water in the loop.

The only real issues I can possibly see would be the connection from res to pump inlent, and the chipset out to gfx cooler in. The chipset -> gfx has a pretty good curve to it to get over and around the video card. I tossed a 45 degree adapter on the video card cooler to give the tub a bit more space to make the loop around.

Loop flow is (I think...) Res->Pump -> Chipset->VGA->Rad->CPU->Res

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. Also, a couple of clamps aren't clamped yet...that's why they're floating around in the middle of the tube.
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good, but how did you get the pump to stay there like that?
Old January 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

res to pump looks a bit tight, if no leaking should be ok, although you're stressing acrylic which may or may not develop cracks.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old January 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Looks good, but how did you get the pump to stay there like that?
The pump came with a foam double sided tape. Stick that on the back of the pump and to the side of the hd cage. If that ends up going, I'll grab some screws and put a couple holes in the HD cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
res to pump looks a bit tight, if no leaking should be ok, although you're stressing acrylic which may or may not develop cracks.
What do you recommend I do here to fix that? I'm not overly keen on setting up a loop where theres a good chance a section will deteriorate and leak everywhere (not to mention make the pump run dry). I could flip the mount for the res so there's more tube from res to pump. Or i could just use a longer screw and a space to boost the res up another inch or so.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would just take piece of wood and plastic (spacer) and but under pump's "leg" to even things up and make nice straight connection. Cost nothing.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

Ah true, didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

You could also move the res higher, to one of the 5 1/4" bays, and then use the L bracket and screw it.. You should have enough space to put the res a little inside without covering up the bottom slot, and then you could always use the fill port hole on the case and attach that to the top port on the res (easy filling)..

Or even turn the pump, so it's base (Sticky) part is at the bottom, and then run a U shaped tube from the pump to the second straight port on the res, that way you will only run 2 new tubes, one from res to pump and one from pump to north bridge..

Pax, that's pretty clean work though, I'm liking it.. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Pax, that's pretty clean work though, I'm liking it.. :)
Thanks, I'm trying to take my time so it looks/works good :). So much easier working in the 932 than my old mid-tower case. I had the rad top mounted in the mid tower as well (cut a hole in the top so it mounted nicely there), but all the tubing inside was really tight. I had to mod the HD cage too...cut it down and mounted it horizontally under the drive bays. It was the only way there'd be room for the pump anywhere in the case.

I ended up building a little riser for the pump so its just about level with the res. Riser is made of some acrylic and heavy duty double sided tape. Kinda cheap/lame, but it does the trick quite well. I've got a little leak on the cpu block fitting, so I need to drain the loop and deal with that. I'm wondering if I tightened the barb a little too much. It's rather snug on there now. Ah well. I'll post a final pic when everything is in place (and wired too).

Thanks for the input guys.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

I think my leak was with one of the new barbs I bought. As far as I can tell, the o-ring was a little messed up. I just used one of my old barbs since all the other new ones were in use. Had to drain/fill the loop a couple times to figure out exactly what was wrong, though.

While I waited for leaks to develop, I made a little dvd drive door to match the rest of the case. It's not perfect, but for 1/2 an hour of work, I don't think it's that bad :)

Here are some pics of the final setup all wired and running:
Attached Images

Old January 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is entire mesh goes out when CD is open?