Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 09:27 AM
Rookie

Default cooling spill... need some advice

So my domino alc decides to spill all over my i7 965 the other day because the damn metal on the heatsink itself split open..

The only things that got wet were:

1) mobo
2) cpu
3) back of case

since the case was laying down when it happened only the cpu and mobo were effected.

My motherboard is stuck in a boot loop after a 16 hour dry. I'll probably need a new mobo for sure.

The i7 shows sign of burns located in several areas on the backside where all the gold pins go. check the picture below to see what I mean, they are faint darker areas, I did clean the areas up with a qtip but they can still be seen in the picture.

Here are my questions

1) Should I even bother testing the i7, or just replace it.. what is the likelihood that its still functional?
2) If no other components were touched by the liquid is it safe to assume they are fine? (ram/vid cards/etc
3) Should I have any issues with windows (vista) if I replace with the exact same mobo model?

Any other tips/comments are welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time.
Attached Images

Old January 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
Banned
F@H

that's really s.... I will for sure try the CPU, unless you don't care about $ 1k
Old January 4, 2010, 09:50 AM
Allstar

Ive been thier, Enzotech V1 CPU Block, Plastic top broke Spilling water on the CPU Mobo, Ram.

I notice when my Pump was making a empty sound.

So After i stopped then started breathing again this is what i did.

Mobo:

Removed, Used my leaf blower(Only thing i have that blowes, Other then the wife )
Blew it for 5 mins, No joke, Everywhere.
Flipped it over left it sit face down for 24 hours.

100% working when i was done.

CPU:
I had the same burn marks
I used a NON metal scotchbrite and it clean right up.
Wiped off with methyl hydrate Let sit with mobo.

Ram:
Same as CPU.

Never give up Unless its 100% nogo.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Chromey; January 4, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
Rookie

Well after careful inspection of the board seems like a bunch of the socket pins somehow got bent, I can't even RMA the board since the sticker on the board got washed away in the "flood".

I guess I will have to replace the board and try this i7 again after cleaning it as the previous poster suggested...

Worse case scenario I can always RMA the i7 right?

Thanks
Old January 4, 2010, 10:23 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewy3k View Post

Worse case scenario I can always RMA the i7 right?

Thanks

don't know , you bent pins, they are there before , or it's in the cleaning that happen, those bent pins was probably the cause of the burn contact if so
Old January 5, 2010, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Thanks to chromey for his advice. I am back up and running with only the cost of a new mobo. Could have been worse.

Hopefully anyone looking for help with an i7 spill will find this thread. These cpus are pretty tough.

Oh and I almost forgot, stay away from the coolit domino ALC liquid cooler, that thing is not safe to use on any system. Too many horror stories, and I became a statistic :(
Old January 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Who is the manufacurer of the mobo? If its EVGA its worth the time to try and get an RMA. They replaced my video card that got wet from water damage from a fire.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Asus p6t dv2
Old January 6, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Usually it's the residue left behind by evaporated coolant that causes issues not 'blow-ups' caused when the component was wet. Since you've pretty much go nothing to lose at this point I'd give the components in question a good wash down with a solvent like say isopropyl, and give a little scrub with a paint brush... then let that dry completely and retest. That saved the components that seemed to be pooched after I ended up with coolant all over the place after an explosion.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old January 6, 2010, 05:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ijust went through the same thing with my old asus p7p55d board. one of my clamps broke and make a god aweful mess. Thankfully the only thing that happened was the lubricant from the thermochill fluid I used was insulating the board and preventing power from going through it so I was able to RMA my board and my chip worked just fine. Id definatly try out the chip on a cheaper board if ou can swing it. Asus sure did me a solid by looking the other way and sent me a new one.