Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Water-cooled folding rig

Hey guys;
Setting up the folding rig for water cooling. I ordered the EK Supreme and I got a backplate for it.

The backplate came with some spacers. I used them, and there was a little gap between the block's backplate, and the Asus' backplate on the back of the mobo (they call it the 'Stack Cool').

After mounting the block, there is no longer any gap and it looks like the water block's plate and the mobo plate are touching. There are no solder joints or anything touching though.

Is this OK? Will it cause a short?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's just a back plate your fine
Old December 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Both backplates are electrically isolated from the motherboard, so there will be no issues.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Already started a thread about my project so I figured I would post an update here.

Using a TFC Xchanger 360 rad, EK Supreme block, EK Multires 150, and the Swiftech 655 pump. Just cooling the cpu (i7 920).

Currently leak testing, powered by my external DVD enclusure (the 12v molex connector in the enclosure).

Here is what the watercooling loop looks like now:

Lots of paper towels lol. I am kinda worried, this being my first loop I have done myself.

If you see anything completely wrong let me know. No leaks so far...
Fold for team #54196
Old December 24, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope looks good to me. but i like to run the pump to the rad then to the cpu block or which every block your using first if more then one.jmo
Old December 24, 2009, 07:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Pump to rad? I am planning on adding a video card in the spring. I thought the pump would have to go after the res, and the res should go after the rad.

As long as it works now. Still no leaks, about 1.5 hours so far. I'll let it run all night, and hope that Santa does not mess with the loop tonight when he stops by.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Pump to rad? I am planning on adding a video card in the spring. I thought the pump would have to go after the res, and the res should go after the rad.

As long as it works now. Still no leaks, about 1.5 hours so far. I'll let it run all night, and hope that Santa does not mess with the loop tonight when he stops by.
Haha, did Angie give ya crap when she came home to her kitchen table covered in paper towels and PC parts? As to what Ginger was saying, and your reply: It matters little which order you put components in, as long as the res is feeding the pump. Any other order is just personal preference.

Btw, I really like that 655 setup mounted to the HDD rails 'sideways'. I'll remember that next time I redo my loop. I guess the only downside is its hard to use the speed control if you want to
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Looks good for me too.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
nope looks good to me. but i like to run the pump to the rad then to the cpu block or which every block your using first if more then one.jmo

That is an opinion a lot of us like to say/ go by. Truth is though, as much as we like to say it, it doesn't mater on the placement of the loop. Go with whatever looks the cleanest as the water will eventually regulate it's temperature.
Old December 25, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Looks nice.. HAF 932 FTW.. gonna be working on my loop too this weekend hopefully, similar loop, just a LGA775 build :p..

Nice build too, lots of white stuff, where can I get some, and the cost LOL :p.. Gotta say, leak testing done the right way, enough paper towels..

I actually admire you going for the EK supreme over anything else, even a heat killer.. very good block for the money..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution