Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Need some advice on fittings (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/26768-need-some-advice-fittings.html)

jtarle December 17, 2009 07:56 PM

Need some advice on fittings

I'm putting together my first water cooling setup and like an idiot I went and bought 2 rads and 2 pump tops that use G3/8 threading before I could source all of the parts for my loop. Now I'm finding out that most consumer water blocks use 1/4 threading, so I have a few options:

1) Using adapters to step down from 3/8 to 1/4
I must admit my knowledge of fluid dynamics is limited at best but my guess would be that having several gauge step-downs and step-ups would simply increase the speed at which the water flows through the narrower portions of the loop, wouldn't it? But would it also increase the chances of leaks and make the pumps work harder than they have to though? I'm thinking about the fittings on each side of the pumps in particular here. It just seems kind of dumb to have anything bigger than 1/4 in the loop as long as there is at least one part that has to go to 1/4. Could someone shed some light on this for me?

2) Ordering G3/8 fittings from the Netherlands
This is super expensive and limits my selection of fittings severely. Also, it seems highly unlikely that I'll find a full set of cpu/chipset/gpu water blocks for new hardware that use 3/8 threading. Am I not looking in the right places?

3) Selling the rads & pump tops to buy 1/4 threaded ones so my whole loop will be 1/4 threaded
Anyone want to buy any of the following?

Thermochill PA120.4
Thermochill PA120.2
2X EK-DDC X-TOP G3/8

They are new and un-used. I would be willing to sell them at a good price assuming I'm going to replace them with 1/4 threaded parts.

Anyway thanks for reading. Looking forward to your feedback.

[edit] In answer to first reply: items are located in Victoria BC, that's why ordering parts from the Netherlands is so expensive :haha: [/edit]

enaberif December 17, 2009 08:02 PM

Considering you said Netherlands you didn't post where your from so since this is mostly a Canadian forum your chances of selling it here is pretty low..

Unless you do live in Canada? :huh:

brewer265@ December 17, 2009 09:12 PM

You can go with with these from the US.
Bitspower Shining Silver G 3/8 to G 1/4 Adapter Fitting # BP-WTP-C23

SugarJ December 17, 2009 09:19 PM

You can also use these if you want 1/2" barb fittings. NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower 1/2IN High Flow Nickel Plated Thermochill G3/8 Barb Fittings (2 Pack) - BP-WTP-C15 In Canada. If you want to use compression or rotary fittings, use the adapters brewer linked.

brewer265@ December 17, 2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 304002)
You can also use these if you want 1/2" barb fittings. NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower 1/2IN High Flow Nickel Plated Thermochill G3/8 Barb Fittings (2 Pack) - BP-WTP-C15 In Canada. If you want to use compression or rotary fittings, use the adapters brewer linked.

Nice find , i looked at NCIX but couldn't find those.

Dazmode December 18, 2009 07:42 AM

The best of my knowledge Thermochill rads are not RoHS compliant, so wash your hands after you work on them.

jtarle December 18, 2009 11:18 AM

LOL, thanks. I guess they use lead for it's thermal conductivity?

Dazmode December 18, 2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtarle (Post 304228)
LOL, thanks. I guess they use lead for it's thermal conductivity?

It just MUCH cheaper to make. Not sure if performance is worse with RoHS.:haha:

MpG December 19, 2009 10:40 PM

Actually, Thermochill rads have been ROHS-compliant even before they were purchased by XSPC, and the flux has always been water-soluble.

Dazmode December 20, 2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 304832)
Actually, Thermochill rads have been ROHS-compliant even before they were purchased by XSPC, and the flux has always been water-soluble.

If you look at their site, you will see that there is no mentioning about RoHS compliance whatsoever, also all European stores are "out of stock" for them. Unlike Canada, you can not sell product without compliance.