Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Water cooling not performing up to par

Posted my current 4ghz OC on my i5 when a few people raised the point that high end air coolers are performing just as well as my 300 dollar watercooling loop. The only "cheap" part of my loop would be the radiator.

Loop is in my sig, specs are up and im using IC7 for paste ,temps are 35*C idle (depends on room temp) and it hits about 68*C under 4 hour linpack testing.

Anyone have any suggestions to getting this cooler to perform better then it is? And would the lack of static pressure be the problem?
This is the best configuration with this stupid case. My attempt to top mount the radiator and use the 140mm fans to remove the heat from the rad was an epic failure, and there is no where to mount the rad externally. Next option is just get a bigger and better caise.

Last edited by Fudd Rucker; December 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can you take pictures of your set up as it would help give people a better idea of how you have it set up and perhaps it may be where you positioned things or have an inefficient loop.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sure can, its a not cable managed properly yet and assembled 100% as im waiting for my 2nd 5770 to come back. Have pics up in a few min.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps your case's ambient temp is getting pretty warm? That seems likely to me, everything else looks good.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
Banned
F@H

the fan on the rad are they pulling or pushing air true the rad ? if they push , the intake case fan push also the air to the rad, some air get trap inside the rad. is here a way you can put the fan the other side of the rad ?
Old December 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

we need load temps and ambient because once your loop heats to room temp it will give a good idea if it's working right?
Old December 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The 2 x yate loons are pulling air from the radiator with the front 140mm fan pushing air.It seemed like the most logical way to set the fans up. Also its been plenty of time to let the IC7 to cure properly so I know thats not the issue. Lapping this chip isnt an option as I plan on throwing a xeon 3440 after xmas and I dont want to kill the resale value on this i5 chip.

Also in my OP i put ambient and load temps. They are well within acceptable ranges, but I expected water cooling to do better then just acceptable ranges. Of course this configuration is hands down quieter then an air cooling setup which was the main goal.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:54 PM
Banned
F@H

I will put this rad outside with a swiftech mounting kit , or something else
Old December 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like your radiator probably can't get rid of the heat fast enough being in that spot in the case. The ambient air temp in the case (that is probably being increased thanks to the nice and hot 5xxx series gpu you got going there) plus the fact i dont think the radiaor is getting/being able to give off enough fresh air is causing your fluid to stay warmer then it should. You should try mounting it outside, behind it or ontop (though i know you tried it and said it failed) or you may need a bigger case so your radiator can work properly.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:58 PM
Rookie

One of the lines from your radiator looks kinked.