Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
The problem is when you can spend the same amount of money essentially, and grab a Typhoon III, or Detroit Thermos for the MCP655 for better performance
Screw it all and just get an Iwaki RD-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp420 View Post
I decided on the 350 actually because I dont have room for a bigger pump. My rad takes up most of the space in my case and I dont want a smaller one. I think I might still get the thermaltake resevoir as I cant find a better one. Is there a reason I should stay away from the coolant I listed I kind of like that it is non conductive. Thanks for the help.

edit-I did some more reading and found out that nonconductive coolant will eventually become conductive anyways so will just use distilled water.
Still try to find a nice top for that MCP350 - since you already picked it. I really would recomend something other than that ThermalTake Res, but hey, its your build, you pick what you want If that res stands out to your - take it!

If you absolutly go with colored fluint Feser One is your friend. I spilled that all over my 4870X2. I wiped it, let it dry, and there is nothig wrong with that card, nothing was fried Also, the colored stuff does stain tubing and blocks, and sometimes will cause build-up and clog still - this doesnt always happen, but it can, and has.

Truely just go for colored tube, and spend the $2 on 4L of distilled water from a drug store or something. Oh yea, if you go with distilled water you WILL NEED some sort of bio-cide, fungi-cide, crap-o-cide to keep algae and gross stuff growing. One of these is all you need, or two if you want to be extra safe

NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower -TRUE SILVER- G1/4 Straight Compression Fitting for 3/8IN ID 5/8IN OD Tube Silver Plated - BP-SLCPF-CC3 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower -TRUE SILVER- G1/4 Straight Compression Fitting for 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tube Silver Plated - BP-SLCPF-CC5 In Canada.

Last edited by AmuseMe; December 13, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 01:51 PM
Rookie

yes I will use distilled water no dye. And as for the top I wont be getting it right away but eventually. Probably the first time I flush the water. There arent any bad reviews for the thermaltake resivour so I guess I will just give it a try. As long as it doesn't leak I see nothing else that can be wrong with it.
Old December 13, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm not big fan of your parts list, but diagram will work just fine.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 13, 2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I'm not big fan of your parts list, but diagram will work just fine.
Which parts in particular. The resevoir and pump?
Old December 13, 2009, 03:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Be careful with that Apogee block. The screws strip easily.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp420 View Post
Which parts in particular. The resevoir and pump?
I would only use pump from your list, the rest is low end parts. There are better products in same price range.

I assume you are from USA, check out Sidewinder Computers or Frozen CPU.

For my personal liking, I would go with EK LT block (assuming you have intel platform), EK or Swiftech reservoir (not bay res), XPSC or Feser rad, any swiftech pump, primo or feser UV tube (not Tygon), Feser one liquid. I also prefer compression fittings as they are less hassle to assemble, plus you need couple drain/fill port fittings.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 13, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Let's just say, your loop in the drawing should work fine, but the parts you listed (yes I'm one of them also), those Thermaltake parts are far worse than you think.. You could spend a few bucks more or less here and there and get yourself some Swiftech parts, which will perform far better than the Thermaltakes..

Get a Swiftech Micro Res v2, MCP 350 w/ a top (Which you say you'll get later, cool then).. The rad, In my opinion is fine, those i7 chips do run hot, and to get a good overclock and keep them cool, it might sound a little overkill, but a triple rad will work wonders..

Tubing, if you can afford some Primochill tubing, they have awesome bend radius, and you can keep using the tubing over and over without it giving up on you..

+2 on Distilled water w/ silver coils or biocide.

Lastly, I know lots of people nowadays are moving more towards compression fittings, I think you could save a lot of money and go for regular fittings and worm clamps, and if you really just want to go for compression fittings, then I swear by bitspower or feser, they make quality fittings that will not dissapoint..

This is one's not all that important, though I prefer Arctic Cooling MX-2 over Arctic Silver 5, cheaper and works better in my opinion..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 13, 2009, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
...plus you need ... drain. .
that's the most important one..... to avoid spill... I will redo my loop this week an add one
Old December 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
Rookie

yes I was planning on getting a drain but somehow it didn't end up on my list alright I will go with PrimoFlex 3/8in ID 5/8in OD UV Green Tubing at Xoxide! and ths swiftech resevoir Swiftech MCRES-Micro Hi-Flo Reservoir (SFF) - 3/8 & 1/2in at Xoxide! thanks for the heads up on the screws chriskwarren.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

350 for tripple rad? U should mod to a 355